JC Penney Suit-Up Event encourages job preparedness

Grace Connatser

The Marquette University Career Services Center, in partnership with JC Penney, hosted the Suit-Up event this Sunday. The event is aimed to help students to get professional clothing at a discounted price. 

Held in the Brookfield Square JC Penny location, students were provided with free shuttles to the store and were able to purchase business attire with a 40 percent discount.

Courtney Hanson, the interim director of the Career Services Center, said that about 250 students pre-registered for the event. Hanson added that the event was one way the center can help students in their career readiness.

Many times, students are building a work-appropriate wardrobe from scratch, which can get expensive,” Hanson said. “By partnering with JC Penney, we are able to help students find great deals on everything they need to be ready for a professional setting.”

While students prepare for the “real world” and jobs, Hanson said that from 2016-’17 university data, 85 percent of Marquette graduates are engaged in service, military, school or work.

Jess Gomez, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said she signed up for SuitUp because she thought the event would help her start building a professional image and make a good impression.

“First impressions are huge — anything that is a step in the right direction,” Gomez said.

Gomez also said she wanted to start building a career wardrobe and get ready for the non-technical fall career fair, which will take place from 3 to 7 p.m. Sept. 26 in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms. She said she thought coming to the JC Penney Suit-Up event was a great opportunity to prepare for that.

Gomez said she gains confidence when she dresses professionally. She said she even dresses up for tests.

“It’s a psychological thing for me,” Gomez said.

Hanson added that a part of professionalism is appropriately dressing the part.

“For example, we recommend wearing a suit or something similarly professional to career fairs, but many students do not have this type of attire, especially here on campus with them,” Hanson said.

Ashwin Saravanapandian, a sophomore in the College of Engineering, also said that he feels more confident when he dresses professionally.

“If you feel better, you’ll do better in an interview,” he said.

Hanson said the Suit-Up event was also held last January and received positive comments from students that attended. Students that went to the past event said they appreciated the service, the affordable clothing and the confidence that came with purchasing the right clothing, Hanson said.

“Employers appreciate when students take the time to make a good impression,” Hanson said. She added that students can make a good first impression by being knowledgeable and prepared to speak with employers at career fairs and interviews.

“A neat, clean appearance is also important,” Hanson said.