This week dedicated to sexual violence awareness

O'Donnell Hall residents sit on a teeter-totter to raise money for Sexual Violence Awarness Week. Photo by Brittany McGrail/[email protected]

Voices will unite this week in standing against sexual violence.

The annual six-day Sexual Violence Awareness Week takes place this week and will focus on highlighting the issue and showing the Marquette community resources available to those who have experienced sexual assault.

According to the Center for Health Education and Promotion, the event sponsor, the message of sexual violence awareness could be felt by anywhere between 800 and 1,000 students campus-wide.

“You just never know who’s sitting next to you who is potentially a survivor of sexual violence,” said Becky Michelsen, a health educator at the center. “It heightens awareness of the issue, from what it is to what it means, and shows that (students) too can play a role in ending sexual violence.”

According to Michelsen, 1 in 4 women are sexually assaulted during their college career. Contrarily, only 1 in 33 men are sexually assaulted in their entire lifetime.

This year’s theme for the week is “Many Voices: One Message.”

“It gives people an avenue to get access to information,” said Kelly Roering, a senior in the College of Health Sciences and chair of the SVAW Planning Committee. “Some people might not know where to go or how to define sexual violence, or they may not know that they might have been. It opens lines of communication.”

Organizers will host 15 events throughout the week, including the annual O’Donnell Teeter Totter-a-Thon, a Kickbox-a-Thon, the Rock Against Rape concert and informational tables. Committee members also said funds raised this year will mainly go to The Healing Center, an advocacy and support center for victims of sexual violence.

In addition, committee members said they are participating in the Verizon HopeLine Program, where people can donate old phones, accessories and batteries that will be given to sexual assault victims or recycled for proceeds that go to nonprofits focusing on domestic violence.

“The more people that are aware of the facts and are willing to support those who have been affected means that more people will be helped,” said Caitlin Hickmon, a senior in the College of Health Sciences and a peer health educator.

The highlight of the week will be Mike Dormitz, a speaker known for his series entitled, “Can I Kiss You?” Dormitz will be in the Weasler Auditorium on Thursday evening to discuss sexual assault and how to maintain healthy dating relationships.

In addition, discussions about sexual and reproductive health will also be held, as well as an evening for sexual assault victims to come forward and tell their stories during “True Life: I’ve Been Sexually Assaulted.”

Kevin Nieves, a senior in the College of Nursing and a peer health educator, said he hopes people take away a greater awareness and a willingness to talk in a healthy capacity about sexual violence.

“The cornerstone of the week is to provide resources for victims of sexual violence,” Nieves said.

Article by Marissa Evans

Special to the Tribune