Hitting the Marq: Varsity Theatre

As college students, movies are often our go-to form of entertainment. Most would agree that going out to a theater makes for a better movie-viewing experience than squishing friends together in a crowded dorm room or apartment.

However, as college students, we’re also lazy and broke, and the nearest theaters are a bus ride away and super pricey, which could pose a major problem for weekend movie plans. Except it doesn’t. As Marquette students, we luck out with our friendly neighborhood cinema, the Varsity Theatre.

Yeah, movies generally don’t show up there until a few weeks before they come out on DVD, but that’s part of the Varsity’s appeal — if you miss it the first time, you know you’ll get a second chance. And while we’d be among the first ones in line if a real movie theater opened downtown, the Varsity is just more convenient for the average college student who wants to spontaneously catch a movie on a Friday or Saturday night.

So, next time you’re thinking of something to do on a weekend, don’t blow off the Varsity just because it’s on campus. At only $2 ($3 if you bring non-MU students or forget your MUID), the MUSG-sponsored program is probably one of the better bargains you’ll find in your college career.

Below, we’ve got the list of movies coming to campus for the rest of the semester. Movies air Fridays at 9 p.m. and Saturdays at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.

September 17/18: “Letters to Juliet”

September 24/25: “Shrek Forever After”

October 1/2: “Grown Ups”

October 8/9: “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”

October 15/16: “Despicable Me”

October 29/30: “Salt”

November 5/6: “Charlie St. Cloud”

November 12/13: “Harry Potter” marathon

November 19/20: “Step Up 3”

December 3/4: “Eclipse”

December 10/11: “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”