Advising Center Anne a freshman favorite

“Good morning! This is the Advising Center, Anne here. How can I help you?”

It is the Friday before classes resume for the new academic school year, and the College of Arts & Sciences Advising Center  is buzzing as advisors rush to make last-minute schedule changes for undeclared students.

Amid all the excitement sits Administrative Assistant Anne Bartelt. Her fiery red hair and turquoise jewelry move swiftly behind her desk as she answers the phone with her friendly greeting. She takes time to chat with each person who calls before forwarding them to their advisor or answering their question.

Bartelt said her job entails making appointments for mainly underclassmen who have yet to declare a major and referring students to campus resources. Yet students who have worked with Bartelt realize she is far more than a liaison in the largest college at Marquette – she is a friend.

“Anne is the first person I call when I have a question about anything on campus or need anyone’s phone number,” said Colleen King, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

“When a student calls, I never say I don’t know,” Bartelt said. “Who wants to hear that? If I do [say I don’t know], it’s followed up with, ‘but let me find out.’ I don’t want students – or anyone – to feel like I’m letting them fend for themselves.”

In her 14 years at the Advising Center, she has made sure to put students first.

Bartelt was a student at Marquette herself not too long ago. In 2007 — one year after her daughter graduated from Marquette — Anne completed her degree in theology.

“Isn’t she great?” says Mary Minson, senior assistant dean and director of the Advising Center, as she walks through the office. “We love her here. She makes everyone who contacts our office comfortable.”

Bartelt said she and Minson, as well as all the academic advisors, work well together as a team.

“Mary has put together such a great group of advisors, and we all put the students first,” Bartelt said.

Laura Oakley, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, admits she felt nervous when she first walked into the Advising Center, but said Bartelt made a welcoming impression.

“When I walked in and started talking to Anne, I immediately felt at ease and was able to take a minute and calm down,” she said.

And that’s what Bartelt’s goal has always been.

“If I can help students, even a little bit, at succeeding at this point in their lives, then I helped,” Bartelt said. “A lot of freshman, especially, are not accustomed to making phone calls for themselves. I want to make the call as friendly as possible to make sure they are not put off by that…”

She interrupts herself and answers the phone.

“Good morning! This is Anne! Advising Center, how can I help ya today?”