MUSG meeting addresses O’Brien controversy

The last Marquette Student Government meeting of the semester did not elapse without discussion of hot-button issues and passing of several pieces of legislation.

Chris Miller, vice president of Student Affairs, talked with the MUSG Senate Thursday night in response to the university rescinding the offer of the College of Arts & Sciences dean to a lesbian professor, Jodi O’Brien of Seattle University.

Miller reiterated the decision was not the result of sexual discrimination, but rather that “pieces of scholarship were not reviewed when offered the position, then once reviewed were found to be in disagreement with Marquette values.”

Senator Billy Doerrer created a recommendation asking for university officials to provide more honesty, clarity, and transparency about the hiring process of new candidates.

Although some Senate members asked to postpone a vote until after Tuesday’s discussion forum, to be held at 5:30 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Ballrooms, the recommendation passed 16 to six with two members abstaining.

The Senate also passed a recommendation adding shuttle buses to take fans to club sports events by a 23 to two vote. Marquette’s Athletic Department will decide how many buses each sport gets on a case-by-case basis.

Joe Mahoney, a senator in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he authored the recommendation to increase interest and enthusiasm for club sports, while working with the Athletic Department to acquire proper funding.

Additionally, a unanimous vote determined Marquette banners will be placed around Norris Park, which the university acquired in February for recreational and club sports activities. The Senate also approved a $4,500 allocation to the men’s club hockey team by a 23 to one vote.