After brewing ideas, new coffee blend determined

Marquette is welcoming a new drink to campus — its new fair trade and organic coffee blend.

After a meeting between Sodexo representatives and Stone Creek Coffee Roasters and nearly 300 votes cast by members of the Marquette community, the Ethiopian Sumatra Blend was selected as the new coffee. The blend won by 18 votes.

The blend is a dark roast and will make its debut in the Brew Cafes and Sodexo Campus Services at Marquette in the fall.

In March, Marquette students and faculty were invited to an afternoon coffee sampling event held in the Alumni Memorial Union.

Approximately 100 students submitted original ideas in a contest to name the blend.

Kathleen Swoboda, retail manager for Brew Cafes and Sodexo Campus Services, said Stone Creek Coffee finished the label designs yesterday and the labels have been sent to the Marquette Office of Marketing and Communication for approval.

Swoboda said the goal is to have the label designs approved by Monday. Students will be able to vote for their favorite label at Brew Cafes on campus next week.

“We want students to continue to be involved in this process,” she said. “We had a lot of very nice ideas submitted, but we narrowed it down to three.”

Sodexo is planning to formally present the new coffee blend and winning label in the fall. The blend will be available for sale this summer in half pound bags retailing at $7.