Woman pushes toward degree, one class at a time, for 39 years

Traditionally, Marquette students earn the required 92 credits for senior status in three years. For some students, it takes a bit longer. Sometimes, almost 40 years longer.

Diane Grande has been attending college on and off since graduating high school in 1971. She attended the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Alverno College and Milwaukee Area Technical College before arriving at Marquette about 10 years ago. At Marquette, she is pursuing a communication studies major and an English literature minor.

Grande has taken one or two courses per semester at Marquette. She is currently taking three credits and hopes to graduate in May 2012.

Because Grande had to work to support herself, she has been in school much longer than the traditional student. She also occasionally stopped attending school because of major life events, such as marriage and divorce.

“I don’t like to be a quitter, but I’m not superwoman,” Grande said.

But Grande, who works as an office assistant in the College of Health Sciences, refused to give up her dream of earning a college diploma.

“When I was a little girl, the one big thing on my bucket list was to get a college degree,” Grande said. “I want that piece of paper. I really do.”

Grande said her degree will prove she accomplished something important.

“It’s like my birth certificate. It proves something that no one can take away from me,” she said.

Grande’s teachers said they appreciate her drive and passion for learning.

“I love having Diane in class because of the experience she brings to the discussion,” said Heather Hathaway, an associate professor of English who currently teaches Grande in her African-American Narrative Traditions course. “She’s a great student partly, I suppose, because of how much she appreciates the opportunity to be in college.”

Grande said support from teachers like Hathaway has made her successful.

“Their passion (for) their subject matter and the way they interact with us students, they have transformed me,” Grande said.

Grande also benefits from the tuition remission program for Marquette employees, and she is able to attend classes during her lunch hour so she can experience regular college classes.

“I interact with adults all day,” she said. “So I love going to school with the traditional students.”

Grande’s boss, Yolanda Webb, also graduated from Marquette’s undergraduate program while working in the Exercise Science department.

“Our department supports education,” Webb said. “But it’s hard trying to find the time to study when you have other responsibilities, so we try to support her as best we can.”

So far, Grande has been quite successful. Last night, she was inducted into the International English Society, Sigma Tau Delta — the third honor society membership she has achieved at Marquette.

Although Grande has not officially decided when she will graduate, she is working toward her May 2012 goal.

“I want the hoopla (of graduation),” Grande said. “I need that date. It’s the light at the end of the tunnel.”