A cappella group offers Harmony for Hope

This weekend, a Marquette musical group will attempt to sing away the blues for people devastated by natural disasters.

The Gold N’ Blues, a co-ed a cappella group, will perform at Harmony for Hope at 2:30 p.m. Sunday in the Varsity Theater. Tickets are $5, and proceeds will benefit Haiti and Chile, which have both been rocked by earthquakes in recent months.

The Gold N’ Blues took the lead in organizing the event, and they will perform with four other musical acts. Marquette University High School’s Select Men’s Choir, DePaul University’s DWaC, Lawrence Univeristy’s Conchordance and the all-male Marquette a cappella group, The Naturals, are performing in Sunday’s event.

Since the group’s founding in 2008, the Gold N’ Blues have performed for many university events, including Relay for Life and Reel Poverty.

“We’ve had the unique and cherished opportunity to take part in a lot of campus-wide service and community events as the entertainment for the night, but not necessarily instigate the efforts ourselves,” said Hilary Braseth, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and Gold N’ Blues member. “Until now, we’ve never taken the initiative to harness our talents and really make a substantial difference for a cause.”

Fellow member Alysa McGovern, a sophomore in the College of Health Sciences, said the idea to have an a cappella concert has been in the works for a while.

“This is something the group has always really wanted to do, so now that it’s really coming to fruition, we’re so excited to do what we could and give back,” McGovern said.

The Gold N’ Blues decided to make the concert a relief fundraiser because they wanted to help those who had recently been affected by natural disasters.

“We have been looking for a way to give back to the community, but as means which we do best,” said Matt Campbell, a group member and sophomore in the College of Communication.

Gold N’ Blues members also said they hope the fundraising effort will help promote musical programs.

“We are trying to make a name for the a cappella programs at Marquette,” said Bennett Kerwin, a member of the group and a freshman in the College of Communication.

The Gold N’ Blues plan on selling out of tickets, according to Braseth.

“Marquette students should care because they have the chance to benefit those in need while experiencing a really unique and entertaining aspect of campus life that they might not know about,” Kerwin said.

Kerwin said those in attendance can look forward to hearing a variety of numbers.

“We have hot and sassy pop numbers, classics, and new stuff for even the biggest Marquette a cappella fanatic,” he said.

Tickets are available in the Brooks Lounge and in front of the Brew Bayou from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. until Saturday.