Invisible Children unveiled at documentary viewing

Marquette students will have the opportunity to remove the invisibility cloak from an ongoing international conflict this Wednesday.

That’s when the subject of a 2003 documentary on the Ugandan war will share his stories as one of the country’s “invisible children,” a generation of northern Ugandan youth who have been abducted and trained to fight in a violent civil war.

Boni, now 17, is traveling throughout the Great Lakes region to share his story as part of the Invisible Children advocacy group’s 10-week Legacy Tour. He will speak after the viewing of the documentary in Cudahy Hall 001 at 7 p.m.

“He is here to finally bring a face, a real voice to the Invisible Children,” said Kerstin Klein, a senior in the College of Communication and president of the Marquette chapter of Invisible Children. “To hear his story is the closest we may ever have to understanding the lives of our friends in northern Uganda. It brings us one step closer to ending the longest running war in Uganda.”

About 90 percent of the Lord’s Resistance Army, which first attempted to overthrow the government more than 20 years ago, is made up of child soldiers, who have no records of their age, name or family. In order to escape abduction, children run away from home to hide.

“Children became ‘night commuters’ and were forced to flee nearly 15 miles every night to the nearest shelter and avoid being abducted,” Klein said.

More than 30,000 children have been abducted and 1.8 million have been displaced.

Marquette’s Invisible Children chapter hopes that Boni’s presence will literally make the invisible children visible to students.

“He grew up running and hiding from the rebel group for fear of being killed, or worse, abducted,” said Regan Billie, a junior in the College of Business Administration and the chapter’s vice president. “Once abducted, these children have only the choice to kill or be killed.”

Invisible Children member Christina Fiocchi, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said the event will be a learning experience for Marquette students.

“Education is essential to bringing peace to lives of millions in northern Uganda,” Fiocchi said. “Whether you know about Invisible Children or have never heard of it, everyone will benefit.”

Invisible Children is attempting to bring awareness to the issue in order to stop the abductions and promote peace.

“Two decades have passed, children have grown into adults never experiencing a world of peace,” Klein said. “Why should we allow that to be their norm?”