‘Come on down’ to game show night with ‘Schmitz & Bogan’

Let’s be honest — game shows rule. The name Bob Barker alone brings me back to middle school, spending sick days at home watching contestants “spin that wheel” and overbid on showcases. Fortunately, you can now fully experience all the joy of a game show without coughs or sneezes.

Every other Wednesday night, starting at 7:30 p.m., Milwaukee comedians Patrick Schmitz and David Bogan host “Schmitz & Bogan,” a free game and trivia night at the Alchemist Theatre, 2569 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.

“For years, I have been trying to put together the ‘Match Game,’” Bogan said. “Pat approached me and wanted to start a trivia night. So, we morphed the ‘Match Game’ with a trivia night.”

The night begins with the formation of five teams, either by players’ choice or randomly drawing names out of a bowl. Once the teams are created, the games begin.

“Schmitz & Bogan” consists of five rounds, each opening with five trivia questions. The two teams with the highest scores move on to compete against one another in a game show challenge in the style of “Win, Lose or Draw,” “Jeopardy,” “Family Feud” or “Name that Tune.”

As the night progresses, team members can buy drinks from the bar to receive immunity tickets.  As the final round approaches, the team with the most immunity tickets avoids elimination and automatically gets placed in the final round, where they will compete with the team with the most points accumulated from the previous rounds.

The grand prize? A free round of drinks for the winning team.

“Schmitz & Bogan” is obviously a great way to make money for the bar — exactly what the funnymen were shooting for.

“We’re trying to sell it to other bars for their slow nights. We want the bar to make money,” Bogan said. “We also want to make it a business. With our experience (as performers), we have something to offer.”

Lindsey Johnson, an alumna of the Marquette College of Nursing, played last Wednesday.

“It was a lot of fun!” Johnson said. “I loved the ‘Price is Right’ game. That was the show I watched in college. It brings back memories.”

Johnson also said she enjoyed coming out of her shell a little bit.

“It’s a really easy-going atmosphere,” Johnson said. “I usually don’t like being put on the spot, but I feel fine here.”

Joe Reiner of Greenfield, Wis., played on the winning team last Wednesday.

“(‘Schmitz & Bogan’) is better than other trivia nights,” Reiner said. “I will definitely come back if I’m free on a Wednesday night. It’s a good time with good people.”

“Schmitz & Bogan” was created not only for a way to make a bar some money, but to give people a chance to let loose and meet new friends on a night not ordinarily reserved for going out and having a good time.

“We want the show to be about the players. We’re simply the hosts,” Bogan said. “That’s what will draw people to it.”