Day Without Shoes raises awareness of foot disease

Marquette students are redefining what it means to “take a walk in someone else’s shoes” on campus today.

In fact, they aren’t wearing shoes at all.

They’re participating in “One Day Without Shoes,” a nationwide effort to spread awareness about those in third world countries who cannot afford shoes. Sponsored by TOMS Shoes, the campaign also aims to bring attention to podoconiosis, a disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.

Matt Hetrick, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, is organizing the Marquette event. As of press time, 981 students declared their support for the event on its Facebook page. Hetrick is encouraging all students to step out and support the cause.

“Rain or shine, I’m doing it,” he said. “Families that can’t afford shoes have to do it, and they deal with it. That’s what I’m doing — walking in the footsteps of the children who have to do this everyday.”

Since students may not be allowed to walk barefoot within indoor facilities, Hetrick is asking participants to slip a pair of sandals inside their bags and follow proper health codes — specifically when entering a cafeteria.

Bailee Lauer, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and campus representative for TOMS Shoes, is organizing a club to raise awareness of the company’s efforts and start fundraising opportunities for those who want to get involved.

“This can be just another activity, but for some students this is a definite stepping stone to becoming involved in the community and the world that we live in,” Lauer said.

TOMS Shoes, short for “Shoes for Tomorrow,” was founded by Blake Mycoskie in 2006. The company operates on a “one for one” business plan: for every pair of shoes sold, TOMS gives a pair to a child in need. Most shoes cost between $44 and $98.

Elise Chapman, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, was proud to say that she would be participating in “One Day Without Shoes.”

“I am all for the one for one movement. It’s really beneficial when a company is for profit but still socially aware,” Chapman said.

The company has also organized “Friends of TOMS,” a non-profit group that creates volunteer opportunities for those who wish to support the cause.

While there is no cure for podoconiosis, the disease can be prevented through the use of proper footwear, the company says.

“I think that people who purchase TOMS have a really good awareness of the world. They want to make a change and they know that this is the first step,” Lauer said.