Cycling Club gets new wheels

Sophomores Anna Patrick and Cara Brigman are breathing new life into the formerly inactive Marquette Cycling Club.

After 18 months of inactivity, the Marquette Cycling Club has been re-established by sophomores Cara Brigman and Anna Patrick.

According to Brigman, no one took over the club after its original leaders graduated in 2008. The club, however, was still listed on Marquette’s Web site. So when Brigman went to fall O-Fest and was unable to find the Cycling Club’s table, she said she decided to investigate.

“I just got really into cycling this past summer,” said Brigman, a student in the College of Engineering. “Cycling is a social sport, and I saw all the people on Marquette’s campus with bikes, so kind of on a whim I decided to start it up.”

The first official meeting took place Feb. 23, and 25 people attended. Patrick said there were interested members from every skill level of cycling.

“Anyone can (cycle) — from beginners to legitimate competitors,” Brigman said. “We have members who have only ever biked on spinning bikes at the Rec Center and members who do triathlons and competitions.”

In order to foster more interest, the leaders are beginning with recreational biking.

“Cara and I are here to help facilitate people’s long-term interest or newfound curiosity,” said Patrick, a student in the College of Engineering.

The leaders are aiming to organize group rides and competitive racing opportunities. They want to have two organized rides per week during the rest of the school year and throughout the summer.

“Going for a bike ride is an ideal way to mentally escape the pressure of academic and work life,” Patrick said. “It’s quality time to unwind and regroup.”

In addition to weekly rides and competitions, they want to work with the Marquette Triathlon Club, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Cycling Club and University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Cycling Club. Brigman said they also want to give members the opportunity to compete in cycling races.

The Office of Student Development approved the club relatively quickly because the organization was reinstated within two-year probationary period.

According to OSD, if a club is inactive for more than two years, it is no longer recognized by the university as an official club.

The organization’s leaders said having a cycling club at Marquette is obvious, because Milwaukee is a prime spot for bicycling.

“As long as you know the rules of the road, Milwaukee can be a bicycle-friendly city,” Brigman said.

In fact, according to the League of American Bicyclists, Wisconsin is rated as the second most bicycle-friendly state. A CNBC poll ranked Madison the fourth best city to ride bikes and Chicago was ranked 10th.

“The local bike shops, the ride along the lakefront and park trails — ideal riding routes may not be right next to campus, but they’re out there,” Patrick said.