Hitting the Marq: ‘Yo! MKE Raps’

Hitting the Marq: Yo! MKE Raps

Ever heard of Kid Millions, Melissa Czarnik, Frankie Flowers or Fresh Cut Collective? If these names aren’t familiar to you, don’t worry. They will be soon.

Milwaukee hip-hop artist JC Poppe, music Web site HipHopDX and MADD Management have collaborated to produce a diverse showcase of 19 rap and hip-hop tracks by some of Milwaukee’s most accomplished artists.

The mixtape, titled “Yo! MKE Raps” (an allusion to the late 1980s and ’90s MTV show “Yo! MTV Raps”), is a glimpse into a genre that is steadily growing in Milwaukee despite being occasionally overlooked. Through this one-of-a-kind compilation, skilled artists of Milwaukee’s underground rap and hip-hop scene are getting a chance to break out and expose their musical talents to a wider audience.

“Yo! MKE Raps” features songs with a wide range of styles. Some tracks have the raw sound of “gangsta rap,” others are influenced by jazz beats, and some have a more calm and poetic feel, an eclectic mix that gives the listener a taste of everything.

Not only is the recording diverse in sound, but it highlights a variety of individuals. There are those who are fairly new to the city’s scene, such as Fresh Cut Collective, as well as artists like Dana Coppafeel, who have been established in Milwaukee for years.

There is also an appropriate mix of male and female artists on the project, so it’s not a male-dominated album.

Since its release last month, the recording has played a large role in bringing featured artists much-deserved recognition. “Yo! MKE Raps” has been picked up by radio stations, music blogs and various Web sites, and is quickly gaining popularity as a result.

If you tune in to 88.9 RadioMilwaukee, you may already be familiar with some of the artists featured on the album. “The Koolness” by Frankie Flowers gets regular airtime on the local station.

Listen for yourself to find out what this city’s rap and hip hop artists have to offer. Catch a free download of “Yo! MKE Raps” at HipHopDX.com.