‘Legacy’ students follow family tradition

Marquette pride seems to run in families.

According to Jean Burke, associate dean of admissions, 8.5 percent of the admitted students are “legacies” for next year’s freshmen class. A legacy is a student who has had a parent or sibling attend Marquette.

Some legacy students say having alumni parents does not matter in making their decision to come to Marquette, but the additional exposure to the university when they were young was a factor.

Michael Kelly, a 2007 Marquette graduate, current law student and an advancement officer in University Advancement, said his parents’ connection as alumni to Marquette made the decision to come here a natural one.

“Marquette was always on the list,” he said. “I went to games as a kid, and when I decided to come to Marquette for undergrad, it just felt natural.”

Kelly’s parents met at Marquette and had their first date at the Senior Ball before graduating in 1981.

“My whole family is thoroughly invested in Marquette,” he said.

Kelly said he thinks his decision to work at the university has made his connection stronger than just being a student.

“Working at Marquette has made me appreciate it more than being a student,” he said. “I have a better pulse on what’s happening here, and I am able to share that with my family.”

The Parents Association is attempting to make the connections alumni have with Marquette stronger. Molly Dinolfo, director of the Parents Association, said the organization has noticed trends between parents who are alumni and students who choose to attend the university.

“When their son or daughter chooses to come to Marquette, the parent gets to come back too,” she said. “It deepens their connection to the university.”

Ali Heinen, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, believes this is true in the case of her family. Heinen’s mother, older sister and four cousins have all attended Marquette. Heinen said her family can now relate to each other on a different level because of the connection to Marquette.

“I absolutely love having my family around,” Heinen said.

Heinen’s sister, Megan, agrees.

“Marquette has always just been a part of my life,” Megan, junior in the College of Nursing said. “Even though I don’t always see my sister or cousins, I love knowing they are around if I need them.”

Both Heinens plan on encouraging their three younger brothers to attend Marquette. Ali said the fact that her sister went to Marquette was not the main reason she chose to attend the university, but it was something she considered when making her decision.

Kathryn Spella, another legacy student, said she agrees that having parents who attended Marquette helped with her decision, but did not make it for her.

“Everyone was very open to letting me go wherever I wanted,” said Spella, a freshman in the College of Business Administration. “Marquette just seemed like the perfect fit for me, and I felt connected to the school.”