Women’s tennis tops NIU, 7-0

Repeating success, the women’s tennis team swept Northern Illinois University for the second year in a row, taking tonight’s match 7-0.

Marquette (5-1) fought for each point, however, and head coach Jody Bronson recognized that the team needs to work even harder if the women want to have a chance against Sunday’s opponent, No. 32 University of Illinois.

“They made us work. This was not easy,” Bronson said about the Huskies.

Bronson intends to tweak the lineup and focus on necessary changes for Sunday’s match.

“We need to look at the things we did well and the things we did not do so well,” she said

One thing done well was sophomore Olga Fischer’s No. 2 singles match against NIU’s Martina Schnapp. Fischer did not give up a single game, taking the point in two sets, 6-0, 6-0.

Fischer said she stayed on top of her opponent by keeping focus and staying aware at all times, keeping in mind any weakness she discovered.

At the same time, she’s only aware of what’s right in front of her, dismissing the idea that she might come out of a set 6-0.

“I don’t think I’m 5-0, I only think about the game score,” Fischer said. “Every game is a new game I start.”

Sophomore Gillian Hush won in the sixth position, 6-1, 6-1, bringing her dual match record to 6-0 at either Nos. 5 or 6.

She echoed Fischer’s sentiment that she has maintained her undefeated record by keeping her thoughts on one match at a time.

“All of us especially try to focus on each individual match and focus on each point,” Hush said.

Freshman Kelly Barry needed a lot of that focus in her tight singles match at No. 3. The battle with Emily Rogers continued for more than 20 minutes after the rest of the courts cleared, alternating points for a while. Barry pulled through 6-4, 6-4.

In the first position, Paola Calderon won 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4 Rachael Hush earned a 6-4, 6-1 victory and Christina Ruiz took No. 5, 6-1, 6-0.

In doubles play, Ruiz and Rachael Hush brought their record to 5-1 with an 8-0 victory at No. 1. In the second position, Calderon and Fischer won 8-4, and Gillian Hush and Maggie Wilson won 8-1 in the third position.