Cycling duo satisfies cravings

Jansen and Schmiedlin call Cream City Cravings "a labor of love."

College students rejoice: Cream City Cravings is here to satisfy any late-night weekend needs.

The new local business venture is aimed at college students in the downtown area. Customers can call and order anything from a can of Pringles to a pack of condoms Wednesday through Saturday from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Founders Doug Jansen and Todd Schmiedlin said they’ve been fielding calls from students at Marquette, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee Area Technical College and Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design.

“We figure many students and dorm kids have no cars or ways to get snacks late at night, so why not bring it to them?” Jansen said.

Cream City Cravings, which opened in January, is based at the pair’s downtown apartment. Amber Krueger, a friend, answers phone calls and packages orders, which Jansen and Schmiedlin then deliver via bicycle.

The business partners, both in their early 20s, met through an area bike club. The duo bonded over similar interests and soon began to ride together on a regular basis. They realized they could begin a business based on riding, and Cream City Cravings was born.

“It is a labor of love,” Schmiedlin said.

The delivery menu also includes juice, soda, microwave popcorn, Ramen noodles, plastic cups, ping-pong balls, frozen pizza and toilet paper rolls. The only requirements are that the purchase is at least $5 and the order is within a 1.5-mile radius of downtown.

Jansen and Schmiedlin said they wanted to provide items college students would want and need. They talked to people at parties and asked their friends what they crave during late nights.

The products were priced so they could be purchased in bulk, while still being affordable for college students.

“We just wanted to get started and find our market,” Schmiedlin said. “But we are always open to suggestions of what to sell. We’ll pick up and deliver pretty much anything. Give us a challenge.”

It would seem that beginning a business for college students that relies completely on bike travel is a big enough challenge, but both men say biking is the best way to go.

“Bikes are often faster in cities,” Jansen said. “You don’t have to worry about traffic jams, and you can always find a pole to lock your bike to. Also, it’s great for the environment.”

While still in its first weeks of operation, the company has seen a positive response from customers.

Rachel Stowers, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is a member of the Cream City Cravings Facebook fan page.

“I’m a fan, but I haven’t actually ordered anything,” she said. “I wouldn’t want to forget about them if I needed something in a pinch.”

Jansen and Schmiedlin hope to see more students turning to them in the coming months.

“We both hope that Cream City Cravings grows,” Schmiedlin said. “We want to build partnerships and want our customers to feel valued.”

Jansen agreed.

“We hope it kicks off and starts to make a profit. Nothing is better than working (and) doing the thing you love to do. It’s a blast to get out and meet new people and be on a bike.”