Playlist of the Week: Marcus Doucette of 88.9 RadioMilwaukee

Marcus Doucette rocks the airwaves of 88Nine RadioMilwaukee every weekday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. He digs refreshing, exciting music and loves sharing it with his hometown. Everything from a Lil Wayne revision to Bruce Springsteen “strong songs” made Doucette’s cut. He had a hard time narrowing his playlist down to a handful of songs, so like any good DJ, he kept the explanations short and sweet so you won’t change that dial.

JJ – “Ecstasy”

“This revision of Lil Wayne’s ‘Lollipop’ is better than (the original) and is equal parts dream pop and hip hop. Sweet song.”

Movits! – “Appelneckarjazz”

“Billed as hip hop, they are really more of a big-beat electro swing duo from Sweden with a rhythmic delivery that hops and happens to be hip. Note. They’re playing at Stonefly on the 30th with Tarik (of 88.9 RadioMilwaukee) opening for them …”

Jazz Liberatorz – “I Am Hip Hop”

“Hip hop used to be made like this; fat, jazzy beats that invite you into a lyrical flow that you can nod your head to as well as feel in a lyrical sense.”

Say Hi – “Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh”

“I just got hip to this tune, and I reeeeally like it. (Thanks Romey.)”

Oneself – “Last Thing I Do”

“Milwaukee’s best-kept secret, former Rusty Ps MC (Oneself) has a new album that is fresh, un-formulaic but true and could be the next cat from the MKE to make it nationally. That’s my two cents.”

The xx – “Crystalized”

“Not a ‘hit’ in any sense of the industry’s definition, but this song gives you a craving that is only fixed with one more listen — if you can just listen once.”

Soom T –  (Anything)

“She’s like MIA, in the sense that she’s Indian with an English accent, but different in that her accent is really Scottish. Her style is raw and wrapped up in the right kind of dancehall reggae influence. Her album ‘Consoomer’ is hard to find, but worth it.”

Jason Anderson ­– “The Hopeful and Unafraid” (Album)

“This New England singer-songwriter is a gem in the same carat that Bruce Springsteen is: strong songs. Try the album ‘The Hopeful and Unafraid.’ It came out in 2008 but too many slept on it then. This cat deserves the same respect as Arcade Fire or Elliott Smith. He’s got the goods.”