Undergraduate tuition rates will top $30,000 next year

Tuition for full-time undergraduate students at Marquette will eclipse the $30,000 mark next school year.

The university board of trustees approved a $1,360 tuition increase, making tuition $30,040 for the next academic year, Marquette University News Briefs announced Monday.

The 4.7 percent tuition increase for the 2010-’11 school year follows the 3.4 percent increase in this year’s tuition – which was the lowest undergraduate tuition increase, on average, in 30 years.

Room and board rates for 2010-’11 will increase by approximately $300, while university-owned apartment rates, the Student Health Service fee and the Student Activity fee will remain the same. The U-Pass fee will increase by $6.

“Cognizant of the sacrifices you make to send your child to Marquette, we make every effort to contain costs, identify efficiencies and invest wisely,” University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild wrote in a letter to parents sent this month announcing the tuition increase.

Almost 90 percent of undergraduates receive financial aid, and Wild said increasing the amount of financial aid is the university’s top fundraising priority. A fund was established to help “several hundred” students whose families are in financial trouble, Wild said.

Tuition rates also increased per credit and overall for students in graduate and professional programs:

• A $40 per-credit increase for students in the Graduate School and the Graduate School of Management

• A $30 per-credit increase for graduate students in the College of Education

• A $25 per-credit increase for undergraduate students in the College of Professional Studies

• A $1,790 annual tuition increase for full-time out-of-state students and a $1,880 increase for in-state School of Dentistry students. The difference is due to a decrease in the state dental capitation amount, Wild said.

• A $1,290 annual tuition increase for continuing law students, with a higher annual tuition rate for new students.

Tuition accounts for more than two-thirds of the university’s budget.