Playlist of the Week: M.O.O.S.E. and the Newfies

Photo courtesy M.O.O.S.E. and the NewfiesEric Clapton, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson… M.O.O.S.E. and the Newfies doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as these other musical legends, but the band has no shame whatsoever in borrowing from classic works and spinning them as their own.  Referring to themselves as the “best pop-blues-rock-hip-hop cover band on Marquette’s campus,” M.O.O.S.E. and the Newfies is a four-piece cover band consisting of Marquette students Stephen Bradford, Tom Klind, Chris Luecke and Ricky Stoll. Check out M.O.O.S.E. and the Newfies, performing live at Caffrey’s Pub, 717 N. 16th St., this Friday, Dec. 4 at 10 p.m. Here are some songs the guys have been digging lately:

Reel Big Fish – “Beer”

Chris: “Cover songs should be simple and to the point.  Typically, the title should be no longer than one word, the song should consist of no more than four chords, and the lyrical content should be even less complex than that.  This ska tune definitely meets all those requirements and is sure to get you on your feet and dancing.”

Miley Cyrus – “Party in the U.S.A.”

Chris: “Although throwing this one on the list probably throws any ‘street cred’ we had right out the window, somehow or another this 17-year-old’s current pop hit is getting as much play from the college crowd as it is from your little sister and that new iPod Touch she just got.”

Tom: “If that’s not reason enough to add it to the list, then a music video that highlights the American pastime of throwing parties at pit stops in the middle of the desert is.  We’ve all done that before, right?”

Chuck Berry – “Johnny B. Goode”

Tom: “Because who doesn’t love that part in ‘Back to the Future?’”

Stephen: “Enough said.”

Third Eye Blind – “Semi-Charmed Life”

Chris: “Some songs never get old, and this one is certainly no exception.  This album was the first I ever bought way back in the day in 4th grade.  Nothing gets a crowd going like this tune’s infectious ‘Do do do, do do do do’ chorus.  Simply the quintessential ’90s pop-rock cover.”

The Beastie Boys – “Fight for Your Right”

Ricky: “Clearly topping the M.O.O.S.E. chart is this 80’s party ballad, which resurrected John Belushi, Richard Pryor, David Lee Roth and Bob Seger from their respective thrones and graves of greatness.  ‘Fight for Your Right’ completely and totally depicts all that is the M.O.O.S.E. experience. Get out your ’80s apparel that clearly resembles the modern-day ‘Coastie’ and let’s get ready to FIGHT! Or party. Either way.”

Chris: “First of all, I don’t know what a ‘Coastie’ is. Nevertheless, party-goers have been rocking out to this ‘no parents, no school, no rules’ anthem since the Beastie Boys came out with their album, ‘License to Ill,’ in 1986, and we certainly don’t plan on killing the party before 2010.”