LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Walker editorial misrepresents 180 county layoffs

I think you folks completely missed the boat when you criticized Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker for not “thinking his decisions through” regarding his issuance and subsequent recall of 180 county worker layoff notices.

It appears to me that he’s thinking all the time.

Let me sum up the situation. The County Board of Supervisors wanted to raise taxes to maintain the present rate of union-backed growth in departmental budgets.

Walker said no, we won’t raise taxes, especially during a recession. The board said everything in the budget was absolutely necessary.

So Walker said, if you can’t find something to roll back, I’ll do it for you.

The board, thinking Walker was bluffing, stood firm. Walker then sent out the layoff notices. The unions then ran screaming to the board, asking them to do “anything but that.”

Then, by golly, the board was all of a sudden able to craft a budget that caused no layoffs, and raised no taxes. Walker then recalled the notices. Problem solved.

Now a word about the “uneasiness” that the 180 county workers were forced to endure.

Since when, during a major recession, are county workers to be protected from the same layoff anxieties that 100 million of the rest of us experience every day?

And I’m not about to shed any tears for those who are forced to take four whole furlough days.

Neither am I expecting any tears from the 17 million private sector workers who have already been laid off rather than given a furlough option.

There are reasons Republican Scott Walker was elected in the Democratic stronghold of Milwaukee County. He’s no one’s puppet, he’s beholden to no one but the taxpayers, he’s a strong leader and he gets results.

And he’s just proven it once again!

Thomas W. Felhofer, a parent of a Marquette student, is from Luxemburg, Wis.