Fire, hazmat crews called to Schroeder Complex

A smoldering oven in a Schroeder Complex laboratory triggered fears of a hazmat situation this morning.

A security guard doing his rounds in the building noticed smoke coming out of a second floor lab and called the fire department at 8:14 a.m., said Fire Chief Mike Labinski, of Battalion 1.

“We didn’t know if chemicals were involved, so we called hazmat,” Labinski said.

The hazmat team established there was no chemical danger, he said, and within an hour the fire department was preparing to leave.

The portion of 16th Street in front of Schroeder Complex was closed to traffic. The street and the building were reopened at 9:45 a.m.