Playlist of the Week: Ryan Matteson, “Muzzle of Bees” blogger

Ryan Matteson

Ryan Matteson is the director of public relations at the Pabst Theater and also creator of the Wisconsin music blog Muzzle of Bees. If this blog is not yet one of your bookmarks, change that immediately. The site lists upcoming shows in Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago, and offers free downloads from breaking bands. Matteson shared his five favorite songs and artists of the moment with Marquee.

Mason Jennings — “City of Ghosts” (from “Blood of Man”)

“This is so unlike anything on his past records. It reminds me of early U2 records that I’ve always adored and represents Mason really breaking out and developing himself further as an artist.”

Mucca Pazza — “I honestly can’t give you any specific song.”

“I caught these guys at Global Union at Humboldt Park in Milwaukee a few weeks back. They are basically a marching band on steroids. I think there were 19 people on stage during their set and it was one of the best live shows I’ve seen all year.”

Givers — “Meantime”

“This band was giving away their album on a file-sharing website. I took a chance. They’ve got a very Paul Simon feel to some of their songs. For a young band they definitely deliver an amazing amount of sounds drawn from their Louisiana home state.”

The Avett Brothers — “Ten Thousand Words”

“This comes from their brand new release, “I & Love & You.” This is a slow moving number with great lyrics that sounds perfect with the windows down on a sunny day.”

Common Loon — “A Moment In Energy Transfers”

“This is a duo from Champaign, Ill., whose sound is much larger than their two-person band. I caught them at South by Southwest and brought them to Milwaukee for my showcase at Radio Summer Camp. Look for their first release in 2010.”