LARSON: Trying to avoid Groundhog Day monotony

This past Saturday was a holiday most people aside from weatherman and rodent-enthusiasts probably failed to notice: Groundhog Day.

I myself would probably fall into that category had it not been for a superb, but under-appreciated Bill Murray comedy named after the aforementioned holiday. For those unfamiliar, the movie revolves around Bill Murray's character living the same day, Groundhog Day, over and over again. I mention this because college life can become eerily similar to this movie if you're not careful.

Think about it, you have your schedule of classes which is the general framework of your routine, which then might be supplemented with a job or various extracurricular activities. That in itself is hardly enough to make your life monotonous seeing as how that sums up 90 percent of the workforce as well, but think about the other things.

Sure, weekends might be fun, but after the 100th time at Caff's or Brothers doesn't it get a little old? Partying at the same places with the same people with the same drinks; at some point familiarity doesn't quite sum it up.

Part of the problem is the self-contained universe Marquette can become. Especially for those not from Milwaukee or without a car, how often do you leave the general area of the campus? For a lot of us while in school our little world extends as far as Water Street or maybe the lake and that's about it. I've certainly been guilty of this.

I used to try and explore more when I was a freshman but sometime during junior year when my parents asked me if I had been up to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at all (they are both alums) I realized I rarely leave campus. I suspect I'm not the only one.

The food options around campus don't help either. The dorms provide some variety but it can still get old after a while. As for restaurants, unless you're a big fan of subs or gyros you might be out of luck.

So what's the best way you can break up the monotony without throwing your schedule to the wind? Start with little things. Obviously, your classes are pretty much set and are the reason you're here in the first place, so don't do anything stupid there.

Rethink your extracurriculars, are you doing them because you really enjoy them or because they've just become part of the routine? As for the weekends, don't stick around campus or go to Water Street, try something new. Go down to the Third Ward or maybe up to Brady or North Avenue and mix with the UWM kids. I'm pretty sure they won't bite. Meeting new people is always a good way to break the cycle.

For food, just get on a bus and go somewhere. Be adventurous; try some random restaurant you've never been to. Sure it might suck, but it might also turn into your new favorite place. If you want to stick closer to campus, I would suggest Ziggie's. Not enough people realize how big of a menu he has. His wide variety is a surefire way to ward off the sick-of-subs blues.

Whatever you do, just do something different. It's far too easy to get stuck in a rut and mindlessly follow your routine. If you don't, your life can very easily become like Groundhog Day, except without Bill Murray and not as funny.