MUSG, city consider traffic lights, signs on Wells Street

The Milwaukee Department of Public Works is planning to study the traffic patterns at the 14th and 15th blocks of Wells. St. in the coming weeks. The study will gauge the need for signage or traffic lights.,”Students may not have to dodge cars to get a bite to eat at Subway or China Garden if a city study finds that traffic signs or lights are needed in the 1400 and 1500 blocks of Wells Street.

The Milwaukee Department of Public Works is planning to study the traffic patterns at 14th and 15th streets on Wells Street in the coming weeks. The study will gauge the need for signage or traffic lights.

Representatives from Marquette Student Government have been in talks with city leaders in an effort to improve pedestrian safety on Wells Street. In early November, MUSG President and College of Arts & Sciences senior Brock Banks along with Jimmy Schott, College of Business Administration senator and business and government committee chairman, met with Alderman Bob Bauman (4th District) to discuss the Wells Street situation.

Pedestrian safety in the Marquette area has been an ongoing issue, Bauman said.

"Things like the Marquette Interchange construction and bridge closings have affected traffic in the area," he said. "It's an issue that rises and falls."

Bauman arranged a meeting between the MUSG representatives and traffic engineers from the Milwaukee Department of Public Works to discuss possible measures to improve pedestrian safety.

Schott, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said he was impressed with the ideas of the department.

"After the meeting, I joked with the other senators, 'Not bad for government work,' " he said.

Among the ideas were adding traffic signs or stop lights to the area. The department is also considering using a HAWK light, or High Intensity Activated crosswalk, Banks said.

A HAWK light is similar to a traffic light but is only activated when pedestrians need it.

Banks said he would appreciate any improvement.

"Commuter students or students walking over to Subway use those intersections all the time," Banks said. "We'd really like to see it safer."

Banks said the results of the study should be ready next month and the renovations could be completed as early as the spring.

According to Bauman, the funding for any renovations has not been determined. He said the city would cover the cost of signs, but might ask for assistance from the university if traffic lights, a much greater expense, are needed.

Bauman said he is uncertain of the exact time period of the study, but said it will be done at an appropriate time.

"We certainly don't want to do it when everybody is gone on break," he said.