‘Heroes’ actress talks about her obsessive movie role

It's one thing to find out someone you work with has a crush on you. It's another thing when you find out they are absolutely obsessed with everything you do.

Ali Larter ("Heroes," "Final Destination") stars in the new thriller "Obsessed" along with Idris Elba ("RocknRolla," "The Wire") and Beyoncé Knowles. Larter plays Lisa Sheridan, the temp who falls deeply in love with Derek Charles (Elba). Larter said she was drawn to this femme fatale character that gets lost in her own psychosis.

"I had a lot of discussions with the producers figuring out why she does what she does and making sure that this character was really believable, that you could understand her point of view, and why she does the things that she does," Larter said.

She said that one of the things that makes this character so fun is that Lisa becomes so obsessed that she doesn't hesitate with her actions at all.

"This woman kind of uses whatever she has to get what she wants, and she's in love with this man, and she has fun with herself," she said. "She doesn't take herself that seriously."

Larter said she feels that the film really explores the idea of imaginary office romance that has disastrous consequences.

"You get to see the three different points of view of people in the same situation," she said. "So I thought that that was an interesting, fresh take on this."

With the recent technological advancements, the line between friends and something more can become blurry. A harmless e-mail can turn into a flirtatious exchange.

"It's the different kind of levels that technology has taken us to, and there's also a different form of intimacy that has become of them," Larter said. "People go to work, and they spend more time with their coworkers at the office sometimes than they do with their family, so it kind of draws on those fears I think that live in some of us about what's really happening when they leave the house and go into that office."

She also wasn't afraid to get into the film and do as many of her own stunts as possible.

"I also like to do as much as I can," Larter said. "I think that you can really tell when the actor is in there, so we spent about a week really breaking it down, and we just had fun."

Larter describes this film as the typical thriller that audiences can go into expecting to escape for a couple of hours.

"On the whole, I think this movie really delivers," she said. "I think that when you see the trailer, people know what they're going to get. There's a comfort in being able to know I'm going to get my bucket of popcorn, and I am going to go have so much fun watching this movie, and I think it gives you exactly what you want."