Bros brood over ‘bromance’

"Bromance" — a close, but non-sexual relationship between two men or "bros" — seems to be this year's buzzword. Brody Jenner even had his own MTV reality television show entitled "Bromance" where he chose someone to be a part of his entourage, or his new "bro."

And that is the kind of relationship you see in the upcoming movie, "I Love You, Man" starring Paul Rudd ("Role Models") and Jason Segel ("Forgetting Sarah Marshall"). Rudd's character, Peter, goes on a series of "man dates" to find a best friend to be his best man at his wedding. However, his friendship with Segel's character, Sydney, begins to cause problems in his relationship his fiancée.

"It just seems to be the word of the moment, 'bromantic,'" Rudd said.

Rudd and Segel have already worked together in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Knocked Up," which set up a foundation between the actors.

"Thankfully we knew each other, and so there was, you know, already a little bit of built in familiarity," Segel said.

That familiarity came into play in the movie when Peter and Sydney would go on a variety of "man dates" to get to know each other.

"They took us to the best fish taco restaurant and the director told us 'Look, the goal is just to look like you guys are slowly starting to like each other, don't really worry about a script,'" Segel said. "And then they just gave us four hours of fish tacos and beer and we just had to talk and be funny and enjoy each other's company. It was very, very easy and very, very fun."

However, this film is not all about the men. Rashida Jones ("The Office") plays Rudd's fiancée in the film.

"Rashida is very much kind of one of the guys," Rudd said. "She is hilarious and cool and easy to hang out with."

Both Rudd and Segel have screenwriting credits to their name, Rudd for "Role Models" and Segel for "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," and they agreed that it has helped them as actors.

"I think it enhanced my performance because I think I understand the character better," Rudd said. "It makes me understand a character motivations and all that other actor bull stuff more."

Segel said being a screenwriter not only helped his performance, but it gave him a reinvigorated admiration for writers.

"I had a new respect for the writers and how difficult their job is and not to be so frivolous with their words," he said.

"I Love You, Man" opens nationwide Friday.