MPC viewpoint AT1

As an owner of a broken (for the millionth time) MPC laptop, I want to thank the Tribune and the editorial staff for acting as an advocate for students with MPC computers; however, I do not think that the editorial staff took Marquette's role and responsibility in this situation far enough. Students who purchased an MPC laptop with the university's recommendation are entitled to some financial compensation.

As the Tribune article stated, problems with MPC did not begin recently. Personally, both my parents and I alerted the school numerous times over the past three-and-a-half years about my ongoing problems with my laptop. Whenever I took my laptop in to get it fixed, IT workers would tell me (off the record, of course) that Marquette's IT department was well aware of the problems that students were having with their MPCs.

I would like to encourage the Tribune to continue with this story because I believe that our school is defined by the way it treats its students. I would also like to encourage students who purchased an MPC laptop to contact Marquette's Purchasing Department to demand a fair resolution to this problem. It is not Marquette's fault that MPC produced poor quality laptops and filed for bankruptcy; however, the university needs to take responsibility for the fact that it knew about these problems and a.) did nothing to address them, and b.) continued to recommend these computers anyway. I believe that the only recourse for resolving this situation fairly is to give students a partial refund for their MPC laptops.