Rolf resigns from Marquette

With the women's volleyball team nearing the end of a 10-15 campaign, coach Pati Rolf ended her 2008 season early by resigning from her position with the team Wednesday night.

The announcement came via a press release on Marquette's athletic Web site, gomarquette.com. When contacted by the Tribune on Wednesday night, Rolf confirmed her resignation, but declined to comment further, saying only "We have a great program (at Marquette) and I'm looking forward to seeing their success in the future."

Marquette Athletic Director Steve Cottingham released a statement saying, "We want to obviously thank Pati for all of her efforts over the course of the past seven seasons and wish her the best of luck in the future."

No additional players or coaches were available for comment as of press time.

Rolf, who came to Marquette in 2002, will leave the team immediately. Assistant coach Erica Heisser will serve as an interim coach for the remainder of the season, which includes four more matches (two at the Al McGuire Center this weekend). Heisser was a three-year letter winner for Marquette, and was part of a 2004 squad that went 22-7 and advanced to the Conference USA championship game. A national search for a new coach will be conducted by the Marquette Athletic Department.

In almost seven seasons with the Golden Eagles, Rolf compiled an overall record of 102-98 and a conference mark of 48-45. In the Big East (where Marquette has been a member since 2005), the Golden Eagles were 27-27 under Rolf. Marquette also had a streak of three consecutive winning seasons from 2004-2006 while Rolf was coach.

But the Golden Eagles have struggled to find consistency this season, and have lost eight of their last 10 matches. Marquette has also only posted a 4-8 conference mark this season.

More details on this story will be posted on the Tribune's Web site, marquettetribune.org, as they become available.