Election fashion: Promote the vote

• Campaign affiliated gear is very popular in this election
  • Both campaigns are trying to brand their logos to their supporters
  • Celebrity designers have created gear to support their causes

This year, the fashion world is being flooded with politically chic items ranging from campaign affiliated gear to T-shirts promoting voting. This election season has moved well beyond the simple buttons, hats and yard signs of previous elections.

Joining the political apparel bandwagon, retail stores, like Gap, are selling election T-shirts that say "Vote for _____." The white T-shirts, which cost $15, have a blank line to fill in why you're voting.

For around $28, Urban Outfitters is selling a variety of Barack Obama election T-shirts, including a shirt that urges readers to "Barack your world." American Eagle Outfitters is selling T-shirts saying, "VOTE: Declare youself," for $15.50.

Matt Rossetto, a freshman in the College of Communication and a John McCain supporter, said he was given a McCain/Palin button that he wears daily on his backpack and a "Students for McCain" T-shirt.

"I don't normally wear my McCain T-shirt on campus," Rossetto said. "It's not that I don't support my candidate, it's just that Obama supporters tend to be a bit more vocal and can cause some unnecessary conflict."

Jean Grow, assistant professor in the Department of Advertising and Public Relations, said the popularity of the campaign is all about image branding.

"If people wear the brand then it becomes a living entity," Grow said. "When it is embraced in someone's lifestyle it becomes more real."

For people looking to brand themselves with McCain gear, head over to CafePress.com to search over a million items including a "read my lipstick" button and the coveted "McCain is my homeboy" and "Palin is my homegirl" T-shirts.

Grow did not have positive things to say about the success of McCain's brand.

"(McCain's) brand has not been consistent across time. He's switched from focusing on experience to being a maverick," Grow said. "It really disrupted the trajectory of the brand itself."

Obama gear can be found on his official Web site in the "Runway to Change" section. Here, more than 25 celebrity designers, including Vera Wang, Jay-Z and his wife Beyoncé, Isaac Mizrahi, Diane von Furstenberg and Pharrell Williams, have designed T-shirts and other gear in support of Obama.

Runway to Change carries everything from T-shirts and tank tops to stylish hats and tote bags. A shirt designed by Juicy Couture sports the slogan "Dude, where's the hope?" The Web site also features various items with the Andy Warhol-inspired picture of Obama's face.

Grow said Obama has done a great job of making his brand accessible and real through social networking efforts.

"The graphics are well-designed, consistent and powerful," Grow said. "(His brand) is a very iconic graphic that is visually powerful and lends itself very naturally to appeal."

Rossetto attributed the popularity of the campaign gear among students as appealing to a generation that had previously been known for its lack of political interest.

"If you can look good while getting your message out, why not?" Rossetto said.

Patrick Sholl, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said the campaign gear is all about showing what you believe in.

"College kids like to voice their opinions, be it loudly or quietly," Sholl said.

Grow said the popularity of the election brand and apparel is attributing to student interest in voting.

"It's very heartening to see younger people take part in the electoral process," Grow said. "It's exciting to see markets embracing social consciousness at a political level."

No matter how you're casting your ballot next week, Web sites like ObamaAndMcCainTshirts.com has something for everyone. Whether you only date republicans, you're a true maverick or you're a "Mamma for Obama," political apparel Web sites have all the pre-election gear.