Adult and family friendly Halloween movies

With the weather getting chillier and the days getting shorter, curling up in the dark with some popcorn and a movie might be the perfect way to spend your Halloween weekend. From gory to family friendly, there are plenty of options no matter what is wanted to celebrate the spook-filled weekend.

"The Shining"

(1980)

The movie, which is based on a novel by Stephen King, has been spoofed and referenced in multiple films, music videos and television shows including "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy." It has even inspired music videos by 30 Seconds to Mars and Slipknot. Few can even hear Ed McMahon's "Tonight Show" classic line "Here's Johnny!" without thinking of Jack Nicholson chopping through a door with an axe.

"Psycho"

(1960)

This Alfred Hitchcock classic is regarded as cinematic genius and was declared as one of the most effective horror movies by Roger Ebert. The film was nominated for four Academy Awards, won a Golden Globe and in 1992 was selected for preservation in the United States Library of Congress' National Film Registry, which chooses 25 films every year that are culturally, historically or aesthetically significant films. But the highest regard of the film is possibly the famous shower scene, complete with the screeching violin soundtrack, becoming a part of the pop culture lexicon.

"Saw"

(2004)

When two men wake up chained in a chamber, they attempt to figure out what happened to them and who really is the "Jigsaw Killer," the serial killer involved with their kidnapping and other murderous crimes. This film was created on a budget of $1.2 million in only 18 days, but it ended up earning more than $100 million worldwide. The popularity lead to four more sequels, with the latest, "Saw V," being released on Oct. 24 and premiering at No. 2 at the weekend box office. Of course, nothing beats the original psychological and gory thriller.

"Halloween"

(1978)

What would be a Halloween movie marathon without the original "Halloween" starring Jamie Lee Curtis? Although some people may not find the film quite as scary as when it was originally released, it still holds up as it tells the story of Michael Myers' murderous rampage around the fictional town of Haddonfield, Ill. Of course, people looking for a lot more gore and violence may want to go to one of the seven sequels or the 2007 Rob Zombie remake, but the quality just isn't the same.

"The Exorcist"

(1973)

A mother has to find religious help from someone who can perform an exorcism on her young daughter after she is possessed by a demon. The film was released to mixed reviews, but has earned worldwide more than $400 million dollars. It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won four Golden Globes. Watch this movie with warning because you may not be able to get the images of Linda Blair's character spider walking, head spinning or vomiting (with the famous pea soup) out of your head.

"Casper"

(1995)

This retelling of the classic story of the friendly ghost stars Christina Ricci as Kat Harvey, who moves into a haunted house with her paranormal-expert father. This film balances the humor that people of all ages can enjoy with the heart-warming tale of Casper who just wants a friend. The film earned more than $100 million in the United States alone and works perfectly as a Halloween film without all of the fright.

"Hocus Pocus"

(1993)

The Disney film stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy as three witches who were sentenced to death in Salem, Mass. in 1693. Three hundred years later, the witches are brought back to life and are ready to terrorize. The film, which only earned $35 million in the United States, slowly gained popularity with the constant repeats on television in October. Disney fanatics will also love the fact that Kenny Ortega, who also directed the "High School Musical" trilogy, directed this film.

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

(1966)

Originally a television special that was broadcasted on CBS, this Halloween special has lasted more than 40 years as part of the "Peanuts" series. In this special, Linus waits for The Great Pumpkin, who, he says, rises in the most "sincere" pumpkin patch. It will then fly around giving away toys to children. The innocence of Linus is complemented with the usual "Peanuts" hijinks, including the classic scene where Lucy tricks Charlie Brown into trying to kick the football, only to pull it away at the last second.

"The Addams Family"

(1991)

The Addams Family began as a cartoon that originally appeared in The New Yorker magazine in the 1930s. After being recreated as a live-action 1960s television series and 1970s cartoon series, Paramount Pictures created a full-length film, simply entitled "The Addams Family." The film grossed more than $113 million in the United States and its success spawned a sequel in 1993. The film follows the family as one man claims to be long-lost Uncle Fester (Christopher Lloyd), but he is really there to steal the family's fortune.

"E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial"

(1982)

Although it is not really a Halloween movie, this Academy Award-winning film could easily be added to a Halloween movie marathon. The Steven Spielberg directed film has earned more than $400 million in the United States. This classic movie, which features a young Drew Barrymore, can still bring about a few sniffles when Michael and E.T. say goodbye. Enjoy this tear-jerker with friends while snacking on some Reese's Pieces.