MUSG to spend part of $190,000 Reserve Fund

The project aims to increase environmental sustainability. Faced with about a $30,000 price tag, the four engineering students proposing the e-LIMO need some financial help.

,”

• Engineering students seek Reserve Fund money for e-LIMO project
  • MUSG Reserve Fund currently around $190,000
  • Fund used to facilitate special projects
  • MUSG president backs away from spring Reserve Fund Forum pledge

At Thursday's Marquette Student Government Senate meeting, a group of four students from the College of Engineering presented their idea to convert a decommissioned LIMO, a university-provided on-campus shuttle, into an all-electric vehicle, or "e-LIMO." The project aims to increase environmental sustainability. Faced with about a $30,000 price tag, the students need some financial help.

Hello, Reserve Fund.

A proposed Reserve Fund spending bill would provide $5,000 for start-up costs for the project, according to MUSG President Brock Banks, a College of Arts & Sciences senior. The funds would be matched by a $5,000 donation from the administration, Banks said. The proposal has already passed the Budget Committee and will face a Senate vote at next Thursday's meeting.

The e-LIMO proposal raises the question: What is the Reserve Fund? As defined in the MUSG Financial Policies, the Reserve Fund is a "fund created by MUSG and the university to maintain excess funds remaining from the annual operating budget and any funds set aside from the annual operating budget." The fund, currently about $190,000, comes from unused money from past MUSG budgets or unexpected surpluses from the Student Activity Fee, a fee paid by students through tuition.

According to Financial Vice President James Schott, a College of Business Administration senior, the Reserve Fund is used to fund special projects and, rarely, used to overcome small budget deficits. Schott said the fund is also used to collect interest.

"Something I think many students don't realize is that the Reserve Fund is able to generate a substantial amount of interest revenue for the Program Board and Student Organization Allocations," he said.

MUSG's financial policies state the Reserve Fund must maintain at least 10 percent of the annual operating budget. This year's budget is estimated at $455,200, so the Reserve Fund must contain at least $45,520.

Schott acknowledges MUSG faces significant pressure to make use of the Reserve Fund.

"(Banks), the Executive Board and the Senate look for opportunities where the Fund could be put to good use," Scott said. "It's something we keep in the back of our heads."

During his presidential campaign last spring, Brock proposed hosting a spring forum in which students could present ideas on how to spend the Reserve Fund. Recently, Banks has backed away from the idea. Banks cites a lack of demand as the reason for scrapping the plan.

"Students who have ideas on Reserve Fund spending should talk to their MUSG Senators," he said.

Some students, however, would like MUSG leadership to take the initiative in spending the Reserve Fund.

"Since the money does come from students, I feel like it's the student government's responsibility to make sure it's put to good use," said College of Arts & Sciences sophomore Eric Pond.

Recent examples of Reserve Fund spending include two community service vans, LCD monitors in the Alumni Memorial Union, a new projector for the Varsity Theatre and flag poles outside Raynor Library.

Reserve Fund spending proposals must be approved by the Budget Committee and a two-thirds Senate vote, according to MUSG financial policies. The proposal then must be approved by the vice president for student affairs.