CAMPUS CHARACTER: Passion ‘geared toward service to others’

• Larry Rickard came to Marquette to work for DPS 16 years ago
  • Rickard became DPS chief and director in 2001
  • His youngest son will attend Marquette next semester
  • Rickard worries about every person's safety at Marquette and believes everyone should work together to keep the campus safe

Department of Public Safety Chief and Director Larry Rickard dedicates himself to keeping campus safe every day. He talked with the Tribune about his experiences on the job and about some of his favorite things.

MU Connection

Rickard, 51, came to Marquette to work for the Department of Public Safety 16 years ago after his last Army boss, Col. Jim McManus, a Marquette graduate, encouraged him to apply. After serving as a DPS officer, Rickard worked his way up to chief and director in 2001. His youngest son, Brandon, will also attend Marquette next fall to study health sciences.

"I'm excited, but I want him to have the college experience anonymously without me checking up on him all the time."

Why DPS?

"My passion and career path have always been geared toward service to others. DPS is the perfect place for me to fulfill those personal and professional goals. It's easy to be at Marquette when you have the type of support I have from our senior administration. Our president, senior vice president and the other area vice presidents understand the importance of safety. That level of support builds high morale within my department, but more importantly, it demonstrates how committed everyone is in keeping the MU community safe."

Scariest experience on the job

"That would have to be the first weekend of every school year with the induction of every new freshmen class."

Craziest experience on the job:

"Two student guys walking up to me during one Halloween night in Batman and Robin outfits. One at a time they opened and closed their capes and flashed me. Pretty crazy."

Most needed change on campus

"Have everyone, including students, faculty, staff and administrators, understand that safety and security is everyone's business. We are all key stakeholders in keeping our campus safe, and it is each individual's responsibility to report any suspicious activity. We want all members of the Marquette family to share their concerns and ideas with us, especially our students."

Biggest challenge

"The safety of every single person at Marquette University."

Proudest moment

"The birth of my two sons."

Biggest pet peeve

"People who are unwilling to roll up their sleeves and work together to solve challenges."

Dream vacation

"Maui, Hawaii."

Favorite food

"Surf and turf."

Favorite spot on campus

"Sorry, this is my best kept secret. You're not getting it out of me."