Eagles find their way back to the winning track

Sunday was different has they won both matches going 13-1 against Northern Iowa and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The back-to-back victories at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium brought the Golden Eagles record to 3-7 on the season.,”For the Marquette women's tennis team, a win has been difficult to come by in recent seasons.

Sunday was different. The Golden Eagles won both matches against Northern Iowa and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The back-to-back victories at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium brought the Golden Eagles' record to 3-7 on the season.

In the first match against Northern Iowa (4-1), the Golden Eagles jumped ahead, winning the doubles point. Senior Maria Calbeto and freshman Christina Ruiz played No. 1 doubles, senior Erin Watkins and freshman Rachael Hush played No. 2 and sophomore Maggie Wilson and senior Shannon Brown played the No. 3 spot.

"We won the doubles and carried that momentum on," said Marquette head coach Jody Bronson.

In singles, junior Robin Metzler, Wilson, Hush, Ruiz and Calbeto all won in two sets. Northern Iowa took the No. 1 singles spot when Watkins lost to Northern Iowa's Meghana Paritala.

Bronson said the team will have to learn endurance if it wants to compete later in the season.

"They need to learn to play tired," she said.

In the late match, Marquette faced UWM (5-6) and won 7-0.

Marquette's doubles partners remained the same and provided the same results, with Ruiz and Calbeto winning 8-0, Watkins and Hush winning 8-1 and Brown and Wilson winning 8-0.

All but one Marquette singles player defeated UWM in two sets. Wilson beat her opponent in three sets.

"I hit all forearms," said Brown, who defeated UWM freshman Jenna Felsher. "She didn't hit the ball that well so I could attack it pretty well."

Calbeto beat UWM sophomore Kelly Drvaric 6-2, 6-3. In the second set, Drvaric had Calbeto on the run, hitting the ball side to side with Calbeto hustling to keep it in play.

Calbeto sprinted back and forth four times, then after finally gaining control, hit the ball into the net.

Drvaric recognized the effort and said, "Great hustle, you deserved to get that one, not me."

After the match, Calbeto said she always wants to win those points, for mental reasons more than anything else.

"It gets in their head that they just lost that point, and it sticks with them," she said. "I worked hard to get control and lost focus."