Bill Clinton rallies on his wife’s behalf

Former President Bill Clinton impressed his wife's supporters by detailing her campaign agenda at a Hillary Clinton rally in Milwaukee Thursday morning.

Those in attendance acknowledged the New York senator's forward approach in outlining the issues.

Dorothy Sherman, a local resident who attended the rally, said she would volunteer on Hillary's campaign after hearing Bill specify Hillary's stance on issues.

"The media does not go into substantive detail," she said, in regards to the candidates' standpoints.

Union members had a strong showing at the event and held signs for various union organizations.

An opening speaker, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), cautioned voters to not get caught up in the theme of change that has been prominent in the primary race.

"Everyone wants change," she said. "But the Constitution gave us change. We want experienced change."

Bill told the enthusiastic audience of around 300 that 2008 will be an "interestingly and profoundly important election." Unlike past elections he has seen, the former president said all the candidates have seemed qualified to him.

The former president spelled out key elements of his wife's campaign in detail:

Economy

The economy is a focal point in Hillary's campaign, her husband said. He cited her plan to create 5 million blue- and white-collar jobs through a green initiative for businesses that would pay for itself through reduced energy costs. He also said his wife would take steps to help homeowners affected by sub-prime mortgage failures.

Universal healthcare

The former president emphasized his wife's objective to provide healthcare to all Americans. Thirty percent of the funds provided by healthcare insurance goes into paper work, he said. Hillary's policies would make coverage more efficient and would put a cap on premiums based on a percentage of income to make it affordable for everyone.

As inflation and the cost of college increases, student loan companies may take advantage of students, Bill said. The senator aims to offer students competitive direct loans from the government to compete with other lenders, he said.

Iraq

Hillary opts for gradual withdrawal of troops from Iraq starting immediately, her husband said. She would begin her presidency developing a strategy for phased redeployment of soldiers overseas that would begin within her first 60 days in office.

"No one wants Iraq to fail," the former president said.

Hillary would focus military aid on stabilizing the country and seek diplomatic solutions in rebuilding the Iraqi government.

Attendees commented on the rally and their views on Hillary as a presidential candidate.

Milwaukee native Jim Stearns said Hillary's credentials as a senator and as first lady show she is an effective leader.

Carol Medlock of Milwaukee said she supports Hillary because the senator has effective solutions to issues such as health care and the war in Iraq, which are important to Medlock.

Medlock said Hillary has a great chance to win the Democratic nomination if people vote for the right reasons. She said she is frustrated with other blacks who support Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) only for his race.

"As an African-American, I feel people expect us to vote for Barack Obama," she said. Medlock said she will vote for whom she feels is the best candidate for the presidency.

Another attendee, Alexander Pease, said he is on the fence between the two Democratic candidates. He said young voters are most interested in environmental issues and the war in Iraq. As a young voter himself, he said most of his friends support Obama and heckle him for even considering Hillary.

But Pease said while Obama is a great politician and orator, Hillary is a better debater and has more defined plans to implement, should she win the presidency.

"Hillary can walk the walk," he said.