Lutherans open dialogue about gay clergy

class=gist>

• Largest Lutheran denomination to release draft statement on human sexuality
  • Draft may propose policy revisions for clergy in committed same-sex relationships.
  • Other Lutheran denominations expressed disapproval of allowing clergy to practice homosexuality
  • Lutherans at Marquette hope draft opens discussion between Christian churches on homosexuality

The largest Lutheran denomination in the country is drafting a revised statement on its view of human sexuality. The draft, scheduled for release in March, will discuss homosexuality and may also discuss expectations of clergy engaged in committed, same-sex relationships.

Currently, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will ordain men and women as pastors as long as they agree they are and will continue to remain in compliance with the expectations of the church, said ELCA spokesman John Brooks. This allows homosexual men and women to be ordained as long as they do not engage in homosexual sexual relationships. Brooks said no clergy, even heterosexuals, may have sexual relationships except with their married partners. None of the major Lutheran denominations acknowledge gay marriage.

At the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, the conference, composed of voting clergy and lay people, encouraged congregations and church officials to temporarily refrain from disciplinary action against clergy that were in committed, same-sex relationships.

Last year, the ELCA removed an Atlanta pastor from the clergy roster because he reported to his bishop that he was engaged in a committed relationship with another man. The committee that decided on the action expressed its reluctance to remove him, calling the church's guidelines for disciplining such clergy "at least bad policy," according to a news release from the ELCA.

While the pastor was removed from the official roster of clergy, he still ministers to his church. While he is no longer an official member of the ELCA, his congregation still is.

The ELCA has been working to finalize an official social statement and policy on sexuality since 2001, Brooks said. The Task Force for the ELCA Studies on Sexuality formed to work with experts and church members to provide insight and oversight to the writers of the statement, he said.

The task force will present a report in the spring of 2009 to church leaders who will discuss the proposal at the Churchwide Assembly that year. Delegates at the assembly will deliberate, revise and vote on the proposal to pass an official social statement intended as a teaching and social policy document.

Brooks stressed that the social statement will not address the eligibility requirements of a pastor. That decision would be part of a separate discussion, he said, and may or may not be discussed or changed at the assembly.

Other Lutheran denominations have expressed disapproval of the ELCA's acceptance of gay clergy.

Joel Hochmuth, spokesman for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, said in regards to practicing homosexuals, "We're opposed to any extramarital sexual acts at all."

He said the WELS holds that sex is established and created by God, but also regulated by God and intended for committed married relationships.

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod finds that "homosexuality is inherently sinful," said LCMS spokeswoman Vicki Biggs. After the ELCA released its original statement last year encouraging a hold on disciplining practicing homosexual clergy, the president of the LCMS issued a response. In it, he expressed his disappointment that the ELCA "failed to act in keeping with the historic and universal understanding of the Christian church regarding.homosexual behavior."

The Rev. Brad Brown of Lutheran Campus Ministry at Marquette said the draft will not be the final word on the ELCA's understanding of sexuality.

"The Church is still in a process of discernment and the release of the draft social statement on March 13 will simply be another step in the journey of talking together about human sexuality," Brown said.

He said he hopes the draft promotes ongoing ecumenical conversations conducted with respect and mutual faithfulness.

Sarah Kodras, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences who is active in Lutheran Campus Ministry, said she applauds the progressive discussion in the ELCA.

Kodras said she doesn't understand why the church allows homosexual clergy, but does not allow them to be in committed relationships.

"It's so silly," she said.

She said she believes cultural context must be considered when discerning the Biblical position on homosexuality. ELCA leaders should be careful, she said, to deliberate the issue without furthering the gap between Lutheran and other Christian denominations. Whatever the outcome, she said she thinks the discussion is a revolutionary and necessary step.

In January, Lutheran Campus Ministry Peer Ministers reaffirmed a statement that publicly welcomed gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered individuals to participate in Lutheran ministry. All people are encouraged to participate in worship events and the statement is consistent with both the Gospel and Marquette's non-discrimination policy, the document said.

Brown said Marquette's Lutheran congregation has not taken a stance on gay clergy who are in committed relationships. He said the congregation is part of a "process of respectful and faithful dialogue."