Tuition gone Father Wild

• Undergraduate tuition will increase an average $1,450 in 2008.
  • Full-time Law school tuition will increase an average $1,610.
  • Full-time School of Dentistry tuition will increase an average $1,660.
  • Undergraduate room and board costs will increase an average $343.

Tuition for full-time undergraduate students will increase by an average $1,450 next school year. Dentistry and Law tuitions and undergraduate room and board are also on the rise.

The Board of Trustees approved the 5.5 percent increase, to $27,720 per year, in full-time undergraduate tuition.

Mary Pat Pfeil, senior director of university communications said the increases are due to the rise of costs in many areas, including employee compensation, utilities, and equipment. Tuition revenue covers about 65 percent of the of Marquette's undergraduate education expenses.

In a letter to parents, the Board of Trustees said the increases were approved to continue to provide quality academic programs, to recruit and retain the highest quality faculty and staff, to maintain a safe and appealing campus environment, and to offer students opportunities to explore and discover all they can be.

Next year's tuition increase is lower than the 2006 to 2007 tuition increase of $1,720, and the 2007 to 2008 increase of $1,600.

Tuition for the 2006 academic year was $24, 670, and this academic year's was $26,270, Pfeil said.

Pfeil said, "Marquette is a careful steward of its assets, achieving academic ratings significantly higher than what might be expected based on the university's financial status."

In U.S. News and World Report's 2008 report, of the 55 private schools ranked in the top 100 national universities for 2008, 48 have tuitions higher than Marquette. Only three of the six left with lower tuitions rank higher than Marquette, Pfeil said.

Tuition for full-time Law School students will also increase an average $1,610 and Dentistry tuition will increase an average $1,660.

Also to increase is the annual room and board in residence halls by $343.

Finally, graduate students will see a the per-credit expense increase $40, and undergraduate students in the College of Professional Studies per-credit cost will increase by $20.

Rents for university-owned apartments, fees for Student Health Service, the UPASS program and the student activity fee will not increase.

College of Arts & Sciences senior Jonathan Bartelt said he thinks students should be given more information as to where the extra money is going.

"It's a rise that's greater than the rate of inflation, so what's costing more?" Bartelt asked.

He said as a senior who's applying to Marquette for graduate school, the increases are concerning.

"I care because it's always going to be getting harder and harder, when does it stop?" Bartelt said.

College of Business Administration sophomore Thomas Barsella said he thinks the tuition increase could be worse.

"I've talked to my other friends that go to other private universities and they pay up in the $50,000 tuition range," Barsella said. "Marquette gives a lot of financial aid and I feel that most people that want to come here have the opportunity if they want to."

Still, he said, the increase will make him more conscious of his tuition costs.