Women’s tennis brief

On Sunday, the Golden Eagles played Indiana (5-1) in Bloomington, Ind. The Hoosiers beat the Golden Eagles 7-0 in a lopsided match.

Marquette's No.,”The Marquette women's tennis team had a disappointing weekend on the road against Iowa and Indiana, losing both matches.

Marquette's No. 2 and 3 doubles both lost 8-1 to Indiana, and its No. 1 doubles lost 8-5 to the Hoosiers.

In singles matches, Indiana beat the Golden Eagles in two sets in all but the final match.

Freshman Christina Ruiz took her match into three sets, two of which were finished with tiebreakers. She finally lost to Indiana's Lindsay Stuckey.

"Christina showed great intensity and development of her points," Marquette head coach Jody Bronson said. "She executed against a great player but came up short."

On Feb. 8, the women's tennis team lost at Iowa 5-2.

The two points came from singles victories from freshman Rachael Hush and junior Robin Metzler, who won their matches over the Hawkeyes 2-6, 6-4, and 6-3 for Hush and 6-4, 1-6 and 6-3 for Metzler.

"Rachael and Robin really stood out and played strong matches," Bronson said.

Metzler, who had surgery on her wrist, is starting to compete again, according to Bronson said. But the coach said Metzler is on a day-to-day basis as to whether she can play or not.

The losses this weekend dropped Marquette to 1-5 on the season.

The women's tennis team will play Wisconsin at Helfaer Tennis Stadium on Wednesday at 5 p.m.