There’s a time and place for protest

Panelists at the Feb. 7 discussion on "War, Peace, and People of Faith" debated, among other issues, the appropriateness of ROTC's presence on Catholic university campuses. Meanwhile, several individuals tactlessly approached the front of the Varsity Theatre bearing yellow banners with the messages "STOP HOSTING MILITARY TRAINING" and "MU LISTEN TO THE GOSPEL."

Last semester, protesters on campus argued that Marquette should abolish the ROTC program. On Thursday, panelist and noted peace activist, the Rev. John Dear, adamantly agreed with this sentiment. In fluffy terms, he conveyed his unconditional disapproval of warfare. He advocated "universal love," troops trained in peace-making strategy and assertive nonviolence. A world in which international affairs operate according to these ideals would be delightful.

I will always hope for that world, but with all due respect to Rev. Dear, we cannot expect the military to dissolve and nations to disarm tomorrow. To produce real change, efforts must be directed toward a realistic end. For now, war is a reality we can do nothing about as long as we're occupied with pointing fingers and proposing broad solutions. According to panelist Dr. James Turner Johnson, if we want a peaceful and just world, we should embrace the opportunity to train military personnel at Marquette, where those values are highly esteemed.

To assign to the ROTC and its members the stigma of being pro-violence or anti-Gospel is unfair. To criticize the ROTC as a whole is to criticize its dedicated, hard-working members. Accusing the ROTC of perpetuating some sort of "culture of violence" is not getting at the root problems of war and inequality.

I understand that "revolution" requires a certain amount of "civil disobedience" and intentional risk-taking. However, the key to making sure a message is well-received is timing, and the ROTC protesters' discretion on this matter was extremely disappointing.

Protesters, the keynote event of Mission Week was not the place for your display. Your message was ill-received as a result, and, in disrespecting the audience, the panel, and the entire ROTC program, you lost an immense amount of credibility.,”Amanda Wolff is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.”