Catholics battle weather for Ash Wednesday services

• Lent to be among the most important holy times
  • Time of preparation for Jesus' death and resurrection
  • University Ministry is planning worship, times of prayer and retreats
  • Many Catholic students intend to participate in Lent services
    • Lent, Christmas and Easter are often viewed as the big three by Catholics. They bring in the biggest church turnouts of the year.

About 200 people fought the snow storm to attend Ash Wednesday 7 a.m. Mass, which brings in about 15 to 20 people on regular Wednesdays, said the Rev. John Donnelly, professor of history.

Donnelly said the number of people who turn out for Lent is amazing. He said it is among the most important seasons of the Catholic year.

"Lent reinforces to us that we aren't immortal in this life, and that us on our own, without God, are weak and full of sin," Donnelly said.

Donnelly said according to the Catholic tradition, Lent is a build up to Easter, Christ's conquest over death. It is a time to prepare ourselves to celebrate Jesus' death on the cross and this conquest.

"In popular imagination Christmas overshadows Easter, but that's bad theology," Donnelly said. "The crucial event for Christians is not Christmas, but Christ's rise from death."

According to University Ministry, Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 should fast and avoid eating meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays in the Lenten season.

University Ministry is celebrating Lent by offering prayer opportunities, reconciliation services and retreats as ways to take part in the Lenten season, in addition to Lent services.

College of Communication sophomore Amanda Griedl said she plans to attend a weekly Lent service in addition to her Sunday Mass ritual.

"Lent is a time when you're supposed to be reflecting on what you need to do to be a better person," she said. "It helps me stay focused."

She said for the season she and her roommates are giving up a vice.

"I'm giving up swearing, and we're doing it where if I do swear I have to put money in a jar," Griedl said.

Donnelly said the practice of giving up vices is not required of Catholics and is more like a New Year's resolution.

"You should do some penance, and it's also a good time to make a resolution," he said.

Griedl said she will also be giving up meat on Fridays and possibly take part in some fasting.

"Mostly I want to try to be more aware of my faith," she said.

College of Arts & Sciences sophomore Katie Holihen said although she does not attend church regularly, she will be attending Lent services.

"I'm not a huge practicing Catholic, but I've always taken Lent seriously," Holihen said.

She said she had a really good experience at the Lenten services last year, which are motivating her to return this year. Her favorite part last year was a homily, when the speaker discussed how Lent is more than giving up something and eating fish on Fridays.