Businesses’ leases not renewed to make room for new residence hall

• Leases to Sweeney's, Dany's, Ziggie's not renewed
  • Space to be used for sophomore residence hall
  • Rez hall set to coexist with Ziggie's
  • MUSG opposes non-renewal of Sweeney's lease

Some Marquette landmarks may have to make way for a new residence hall.

The current leases of Dany's Foods, 712 N. 17th St., Sweeny's College Books, 1634 W. Wisconsin Ave., and Ziggie's Restaurant, 1626 W. Wisconsin Ave., will not be renewed, according to Mary Pat Pfeil, senior director of university communication. The property will be used for common space in a new suite-style residence hall, set to open fall 2009.

The commercial tenants were personally notified of the university's intent to not renew the leases in August, Pfeil said in an e-mail, and the property transaction was completed in December.

Although the university does not discuss terms of tenant leases, Sweeney's and Dany's will be out by the fall 2009 opening, according to Toby Peters, associate vice president in the Office of Administration. The residence hall will be able, however, to share space with Ziggie's. According to previous Tribune reports, Ziggie's lease extends to 2015.

"The way that Ziggie's sits there, it will not affect entry into the residence hall," Peters said.

While the exact plans have yet to be developed, Peters said the first floor will be used for common space similar to that of other residence halls, with space for meeting and recreation.

Peters stressed the importance of common space as a part of the residence life community.

"The space helps build a stronger community and stronger programs," he said. "I can't imagine a residence hall without common space."

Of particular concern to students has been the departure of Sweeney's. It is currently the only non-university owned bookstore on campus. According to a survey by Marquette Student Government, Sweeney's is the most popular source of books for sophomores, juniors and seniors.

Last month, MUSG issued a press release expressing disappointment at the university's decision to not renew Sweeney's lease.

Brock Banks, MUSG president and College of Arts & Sciences senior, said MUSG stands by its position.

"Sweeney's is a very popular option for Marquette students," he said. "We were voicing concerns we were hearing from a lot of students."

Banks said he did not know if the residence hall could have sufficient common space if Sweeney's remained in its current location.

Chris Zilvitis, Marquette alumnus and store director, would not comment on the lease, but said students should not worry about the store closing.

"We're going to be around for a long time," Zilvitis said.

Zilvitis would not say if the store was seeking other retail space. Pfeil said she understands at least one of the three businesses has been seeking other property.

Jim McMahon, assistant vice president and dean of residence life, said the residence hall will be available to sophomores.

"After Abbottsford was made available primarily to freshmen, there was a significant demand for similar housing for sophomores," McMahon said.

The residence hall, which has not yet been named, will require the removal of appliances and the construction of an entrance, McMahon said. The hall will remain vacant next year.