St. Louis Archbishop will deny Majerus Communion

• SLU basketball coach and former Marquette coach Rick Majerus is in trouble with the Archdiocese of Saint Louis for his comments supporting abortion rights and stem-cell research.
  • Archbishop Burke of Saint Louis said he would deny Majerus communion and called for disciplinary action from the Jesuit university
  • SLU said Majerus spoke as an individual, not a university representative
  • Catholic universities are not subject to the authority of any archdiocese, and faculty are subject to the stipulations in their contracts.

Archbishop Raymond Burke of the St. Louis archdiocese said he would deny St. Louis University basketball coach Rick Majerus communion. He called for university action after the coach told local television reporters that he supported abortion rights and embryonic stem cell research.

Majerus is a former head coach of the Marquette men's basketball team who coached from 1983-1986 with a three-year record of 56-35.

While at a campaign rally for presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Majerus told reporters from St. Louis KMOV-TV news, "I'm very much an advocate of stem cell research.anything that can help eliminate people's pain in life and suffering, I think we have to explore all those options."

SLU said in an official statement Majerus' comments did not reflect the university's views.

"Coach Rick Majerus' comments were his own personal views, and he was not speaking for St. Louis University," the statement said.

"The comments were made at a non-University event, and he was not there as a University representative."

The Archdiocese of St. Louis and the SLU athletic department did not return phone calls at press time.

Burke spoke with the New York Times by telephone while in Washington attending March for Life events.

"I'm concerned that a leader at a Catholic university made these comments," he said. "It can lead Catholics astray. I just believe that it's of the essence for people to understand as a Catholic you just cannot hold these beliefs."

Burke said university officials should decide what action to take against the coach.

SLU said it is a Jesuit institution committed to Catholic teachings. While they do conduct Church-approved research on adult stem cells, they do not engage in or support embryonic stem cell research or abortion.

Spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee Kathleen Hohl said Catholic universities are not governed by any archdiocese and most respond to the religious order that created them. Catholic universities not affiliated with a particular order would probably be subject to its board of directors and most likely follow the influence of the national or world Church, she said.

Lawrence Soley, author of "Censorship, Inc." and Colnik professor of communication in the college of communication at Marquette, said Majerus is subject to his contract.

"I'd be very surprised if a Jesuit institution put a limitation in its contract on free speech," he said.

But Soley said a company's recent contract with the University of Wisconsin-Madison required that the university take action against students and faculty on campus that made disparaging statements about the company or its products.

Soley said it is perfectly legal to establish a contract that limits free speech or even specific topics. For example, a condo lease may state the tenant cannot post any signs on the doors or lawn or post any political or religious messages publicly.

"Each school would set up its own policies regarding staff members speaking to the media," Hohl said. "Certainly they wouldn't lose their rights to free speech just because they're teaching in a Catholic school."

Teaching contrary to Catholic teaching would be a problem, she said, but outside the workplace it is difficult to define what is acceptable. A family barbecue is not a public appearance, but a published letter to a newspaper that identifies that person as a Catholic school teacher would raise questions.

Mary Pat Pfeil, senior director of university communication at Marquette, said Majerus is an individual entitled to his personal opinions.

"People have a right to express their personal views," she said. "The university doesn't comment on personal views (of faculty)."