City offers "pedestrian islands" on Wells HOLD

• City offers to build 2 pedestrian islands
  • Islands would be between 13th and 16th street blocks on Wells Street
  • Decision up to MUSG, administration.
  • City would cover entire cost of islands.

The Department of Public Works (DPW) has offered to build two pedestrian islands between the 13th and 16th blocks of Wells Street, according to 4th District Alderman Bob Bauman.

The offer comes after members of Marquette Student Government approached the alderman with concerns about safety on Wells Street last November.

The islands, or medians, would be set between the 16th and 15th blocks and 14th and 13th blocks, Bauman said. The city would cover the cost of the islands, which are meant to reduce crossing time for pedestrians.

"We saw this as the best way to make pedestrian crossing safer," he said.

The offer, however, comes with a cost. The construction of the islands would reduce the availability of parking on the south side of Wells Street between 13th and 16th Streets. No parking would be allowed on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. to allow for the requisite two traffic lanes, Bauman said.

The decision on the islands lies with Marquette, Bauman said.

"There is a tradeoff, so it's up to the university to kick the idea around and decide if it's worth doing," he said.

MUSG President Brock Banks, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, said student government and the administration will have a joint-say in the final decision, a decision that may not come quickly.

"It's early in the process," he said. "We're going to work with the administration to try to figure out what's best for students."

Banks said he has yet to make plans for any student forum, but has encouraged senators to consult with their constituents on the issue. He also said MUSG may consider requesting other signals, such as signs or traffic lights, which would include costs that may have to be partially covered by the university.

"Right now, everything is on the table," Banks said.

An idea floated by DPW in the preliminary discussions was a HAWK light, or High Intensity Activated crosswalk. A HAWK light is similar to a traffic light but is only activated when pedestrians need it. The city's current offer includes only the pedestrian islands.

Late last semester, DPW conducted a "gap check" to measure vehicular and pedestrian traffic patterns at the 14th and 15th Street intersections on Wells Street.

Bob Bryson, Milwaukee's chief traffic ad street light engineer, said the intersection has a low number of gaps in vehicular traffic during which pedestrians can cross safely. He said other options, such as traffic lights, were considered, but the pedestrian island was ultimately the best choice.

"The islands give us the largest number of safe gaps with the least amount of problems," Bryson said.

Construction of the islands would not require any digging or excavation and could be completed relatively quickly, Bauman said. If approved, the islands would likely be built over the summer, he said.

According to the gap check, up to 3,620 pedestrians crossed the intersections in a given day. Vehicular speeds at the intersection were normally safe, averaging about 27 m.p.h., well under the 30 m.p.h. speed limit.