MUSG calls for transparency on important decisions

• MUSG Senate calls for clearer answers from administration
  • Calls reponses to legislation "minimal and conveniently vauge"
  • Highlights Sweeney's, Pizza Shuttle issues
  • Senator: "…everything we do is thrown in the garbage can."

After little response from several recommendations, Marquette Student Government is calling on administrators to be more forthcoming and responsive.

A recommendation entitled "Transparency" unanimously passed the MUSG Senate at Thursday's meeting. The legislation called on the administration to provide "open and direct lines of communication regarding campus changes and adjustments that affect students."

As an example of poor communication, the recommendation highlights the university's recent decision not to renew the lease of Sweeney's College Books, 1634 W. Wisconsin Ave. On Jan. 14, the university announced the space would be used for a planned student residence hall.

"The phrase that kept coming up while we were writing the legislation was 'conveniently vague,' said Off-Campus Senator and College of Business Administration junior Ray Redlingshafer, one of the bill's five authors. "The administration may not be being dishonest, but we're not always getting the whole story."

The legislation charges several other instances in which Senate recommendations were not taken seriously. In October, the Senate unanimously passed a recommendation calling for the reinstatement of Pizza Shuttle, 1827 N. Farwell Ave., to the MarquetteCASH student debit program. Pizza Shuttle was removed from the program by the university for contract violations, including allowing students to purchase beer with MarquetteCASH. The restaurant remains off the program.

Another recommendation requested that University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild appoint a student representative to the Provost Search Committee. Wild denied the request.

Sophomore College of Arts & Sciences Senator Giuseppe Pappalardo, another author of the bill, said the Senate should be clear its members are not happy with the administration's response to the legislation.

"It's hard to do our job when everything we do is thrown in the garbage can," he said.

New positions

The Senate confirmed Claire Anglim, a College of Communication senior, as program vice president because of a routine turn over. Anglim replaced College of Health Sciences Senior Matt Robinson.

As her top priority, Anglim stressed increased attendance at programs such as After Dark, which are MUSG sponsored Late Night events.

"I'd like to see as many students taking advantage of these events as possible," she said.

Sophomore senator Billy Doerrer was elected president pro-tempore of the Senate, replacing Schroeder Hall Senator Henry Thomas, a College of Arts & Sciences sophomore who resigned from the Senate last semester to participate in the Les Aspin program. The president pro-tempore is responsible for presiding over meetings when the legislative vice president is absent.