MUSG envisions Night of Chocolate a formal affair

The Night of Chocolate, an annual event offering music and chocolate treats, is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union ballrooms. The Marquette Student Government Program Board will host the event.,”The time is fast approaching for Marquette chocoholics to get their fix.

The Night of Chocolate, an annual event offering music and chocolate treats, is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union ballrooms. The Marquette Student Government Program Board will host the event.

This year's event will offer the traditional all-you-can-eat chocolate as well a raffle, visitors in M&M and Hershey's kisses costumes and the sounds of a jazz quartet led by Nick Contorno, former director of university bands and orchestra, according to MUSG Special Events Commissioner Dorothy Jenke, College of Arts & Sciences senior.

Jenke said students are drawn to the event by its uniqueness.

"It's something different," she said. "Students aren't likely to have fondue in their dorm rooms or apartments."

Jenke said she is making an effort to make the event more of a formal affair. Ads for the event suggest students wear such attire and the jazz quartet will be wearing tuxedos.

"We won't turn away students who show up in jeans," she said. "We're just trying to make it a special evening."

Marquette acquires the chocolate for the event through outside vendors, said Mel Vianes, university dining service's catering manager. Vianes said the event is still in the planning process, but students can expect traditional dipping items such as fruit and marshmallows.

Because of the popularity of the event, which Jenke said has sold out in recent years, an additional 100 tickets will be available this year, making a capacity of 600. Tickets also went on sale a week earlier than usual, Jenke said.

"We want to give as many students as possible the chance to enjoy the night," she said.

Program Vice President Matt Robinson, College of Health Sciences senior, said the Night of Chocolate is one of MUSG's most popular events.

"We consistently get raving reviews and sell out crowds," he said. "It's become a great Marquette tradition."

Tickets for the event are on sale in the Brooks Lounge for $5.