Asbestos infects Johnston Hall

The College of Communication told the Tribune last week that the asbestos in the basement of Johnston Hall is set to be removed during winter break.,”Imagine having to wear a protective suit and mask to class in Johnston Hall. According to an expert in asbestos litigation, such could be the case if Marquette chose not take care of the building's asbestos problem.

The College of Communication told the Tribune last week that the asbestos in the basement of Johnston Hall is set to be removed during winter break.

John Pauly, dean of the College of Communication, said the lower-level renovations pose no health threat to students or employees in the building.

Hannah Yaritz, student manager in the Instructional Media Center of Johnston Hall and a senior in the College of Communication, said she is not too concerned about the problem.

"I'm not surprised since it is such an old building," Yaritz said. She said she is not worried about it because there was a similar situation at her high school. She said the danger of asbestos is a long-term effect, so she would be more concerned if she were in the building during winter break in the middle of the renovation period.

Kevin Conway, partner and attorney at Cooney & Conway, a law firm in Chicago specializing in asbestos litigation, said asbestos is dangerous because it is like a "poison dust" that cannot be smelled and has no taste.

Conway said asbestos becomes dangerous when fibers are released into the air and inhaled to where they can remain in the lungs and cause disease. Among multiple dangers, he said asbestos is associated with three major diseases: asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.

But Conway said the students should be safe because illness depends on the amount of exposure. He said illness from asbestos exposure is not very common and it could take more than 20 years to develop such illness.

He said the main reason for removing the asbestos would be to protect workers for future construction. As for legal concerns, Conway said it is the university's job to protect the people and get rid of the asbestos before it becomes a problem.

There are low permissible levels of asbestos, but the university would eventually have to remove it, he said.

Conway said asbestos is removed through a process of containment. He said it can be contained by applying a plastic cover over the asbestos material and should be torn out if it reaches the point of becoming airborne.

Kathleen Kugi-Tom, project manager in the Office of the University Architect, did not return Tribune phone calls seeking comment on how the university plans to remove the asbestos.

Pauly would not comment on the renovation plans.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring, fibrous mineral that used to be used in a variety of products, but Conway said the amount of products containing asbestos has been significantly reduced over the years. He said most asbestos exposure occurred years ago in occupations such as construction and shipyards.