Professors on The Facebook

Much like students, professors open their own accounts for a variety of reasons, both personal and academic.

Bonnie O'Neill, assistant professor of management, said she created a Facebook profile this semester after a colleague from another university suggested it.,”The opportunity for students to "poke" their professors grows as more and more Marquette faculty members are creating Facebook accounts.

Bonnie O'Neill, assistant professor of management, said she created a Facebook profile this semester after a colleague from another university suggested it. She said her colleague told her using Facebook is a good way to connect with undergraduates.

"It gives the students another view of me other than an authority figure who assigns grades," O'Neill said.

She said using Facebook is a way for professors to try to keep up with the technology they know students are using. But she said keeping up can require a lot of energy.

O'Neill said Facebook is a great way for professors to get to know their students by linking to what the students are familiar with. Faculty members can connect with students through similar interests discovered on Facebook profiles, such as favorite music, TV shows, movies and books.

Heather Kohls, instructor of economics, said she signed up for Facebook because she was told it was a good way to check student reviews of professors.

"I really don't know anything about Facebook, except that it is a technology that is too recent for Ph.D.s to know about yet," Kohls said.

A Facebook search for Marquette faculty returns more than 100 results, but a majority of those accounts have little or no recent activity.

Caroline Kaiser, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said one of the best ways for professors to use Facebook is to better facilitate discussion with students.

Linda Menck, professional in residence for advertising and public relations, plans to do just that. She said the near 120 students in her introduction to visual communication class will be using Facebook to complete a photography project.

She said a Facebook group will be created so the students can submit their photos to be compiled into one long slideshow that will be viewed in class. She said the students are excited about the project because it incorporates a technology they are comfortable with.

Menck said she originally joined Facebook because she "needed to understand what it is." She said it is great for group communication but can also be addictive.

Students are also creating Facebook groups dedicated to certain professors. "Da Menck$ter Fan Club" was created by a few students in honor of Menck. She said she was flattered when she discovered the group.