Your mission: Find one

It went a little something like this…

"I believe in the soul … the small of a woman's back. I believe in the hangin' curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent and overrated crap.,”In 1988, a character named Crash Davis in the Oscar-nominated movie "Bull Durham" gave his infamous "I Believe" speech.

It went a little something like this…

"I believe in the soul … the small of a woman's back. I believe in the hangin' curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent and overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot … opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days."

According to Facebook, this "I Believe" speech uttered by Kevin Costner is one of the most frequently posted passages under the favorite quotes section among college students.

Why is it so popular? Possibly because it was an everyday-average person's mission statement. It's a monologue from someone who knows exactly who he is.

Knowing exactly who you are is rather rare, and it's something that we are supposed to figure out in college.

Between classes, studying and general collegiate merriment, we are supposed to delve deep down into our souls and define ourselves.

This, of course, is easier said than done.

I have found who we are has a lot to do with where we come from and who influences us. And for us here at Marquette, it is often Marquette itself that influences who we are and who we become.

Marquette has its own mission statement; it includes the search for truth, the discovery and sharing of knowledge, the fostering of personal and professional excellence, the promotion of a life of faith and the development of leadership expressed in service to others.

Marquette was founded in 1881 by a band of Jesuits who believed that serving students and contributing to the advancement of knowledge was, in fact, a way of serving God.

Instead of preaching or devoting themselves to saving lost souls, Marquette's founders dedicated their lives to the building of an educational institution.

Those founding Jesuits were passionate about education and knowledge, and they knew enough to run with that passion. As a result, something great was born.

But in order to be a part of something great, you need to have a passion to run with. You need to know who you are and what the mission statement is that holds your life together.

Here's your "How To" guide for creating your own personal mission statement.

Start with the words "I Believe," and then just go off onto a tangent on whatever pops into your head and whatever really truly matters to you.

It doesn't have to be deep. For example, if you're anything like me it can include something like, "I believe the Bears are better than the Packers, and it wasn't a fluke that Chi-town won in their first encounter of the year."

And it doesn't have to be long. It can be only a few words.

For example, my mission statement is four simple words: I believe in action.

I believe the overwhelming indifference in American society today is one of the greatest wrongs of our time. I believe in picking a cause you care about and serving it. And I believe that even when you fail or make a mistake, it beats the hell out of never doing anything.

Take your cue from Crash Davis and the founding Jesuits of Marquette and figure out who you are and what you want. You'll find that it's definitely worth your time.