Reserve Fund, survey committee discussed at MUSG meeting

While no students showed up for the planned Concerned Students Forum, MUSG carried on with other financial and committee business at its meeting.,”The highlights of the Marquette Student Government senate meeting of Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007:

While no students showed up for the planned Concerned Students Forum, MUSG carried on with other financial and committee business at its meeting.

Financial Vice President Tim Smith, a College of Business Administration senior, gave a presentation on the Reserve Fund.

The Reserve Fund is the collection of unspent money from previous MUSG budgets.

The current balance of the fund is about $190,000 dollars, Smith said. The fund has been used to finance items such as two community service vans, a DVD projector for Varsity Theatre and the flag display in front of Raynor Library.

The Reserve Fund can be used to fund projects with approval from the budget committee and a two-thirds vote from the senate. According to MUSG bylaws, the Reserve Fund cannot be lower than 10 percent of the annual budget. This year's budget is $447,000, Smith said.

MUSG President Brock Banks, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, announced he will be appointing a Survey Steering Committee. The committee will be responsible for creating surveys to access student opinion on issues such as the Upass and Student Activity Fee, Banks said.

Executive Vice President Sara Soriano announced Megan Ward, a College of Business Administration junior, has been appointed senior speaker coordinator. The deadline for senior speaker nominations has been extended to Wednesday, Oct. 24.