MUSG approves student organization allocations

The Student Organizations Allocations for period one were unanimously approved by the senate.

Student Organization Allocations are provisions given to student organizations and club sports teams seeking funds.,”Tonight marked the first senate meeting of Marquette University Student Government for the 2007-'08 academic year. Here are the highlights:

Student Organization Allocations are provisions given to student organizations and club sports teams seeking funds.

The SOA committee allocated $22,196 among 13 organizations and three club sports teams.

Among the highest allocations were $4,750 to the Financial Management Association to participate in the Wall Street Experience, $3,951 to the Coalition of Language Honor Societies for an on-campus foreign film festival and $3,130 to the Waterski & Wakeboard Club to participate in the National Collegiate Waterski Association Nationals.

An amendment to the MUSG Expenditure Procedures was unanimously approved, changing the requirements for student organizations seeking reimbursement. Having previously been required to present a paid receipt, invoice or contract, student organizations can now provide other proof of payment, such as a canceled check, bank statement or credit card statement. MUSG adviser Jon Dooley said the new policy is similar to that of other university departments.

Matt Montgomery, general manager of Marquette University Radio and junior in the College of Communication, was present to request $1,000 in funding for a concert featuring Murder By Death. The concert would be free to students and is scheduled for Oct. 11 in the Annex, Montgomery said.

Trenell Darby, senator from the College of Nursing, resigned after transferring to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Primary elections for MUSG senate are slated for Wednesday, Sept. 12. The general elections will be held the following Wednesday.