Price versus convenience drives debate over books

But are they passing up better deals online?

Some students think so.,”Over the past week, scores of students purchased their textbooks at BookMarq, 818 N. 16th St., Marquette's on-campus textbook and supplies store, and Sweeney's College Books, 1634 W. Wisconsin Ave., a competing independent store.

Some students think so. Eric Pond, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, purchased his spring semester books on Amazon.com last year after buying from Sweeney's in the fall. He estimated he saved close to $100.

"It was so much cheaper," Pond said. "I don't like paying any more than I have to."

A new Internet program may help Marquette students save even more. Last spring, Marquette Student Government President Brock Banks, senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, signed Marquette onto Pick-A-Prof, a program that allows students to rate instructors as well as purchase textbooks online.

According to the Web site, Pick-A-Prof's book exchange searches dozens of online textbook retailers to find the lowest price.

"A lot of students search online for the best priced textbooks," Banks said. "Pick-A-Prof takes what they're already doing and makes the process easier."

He said MUSG will soon distribute fliers to make students more aware of Pick-A-Prof. He said his goal is for more than 1,000 Marquette students to sign onto the program.

"It depends largely on word-of-mouth," Banks said. "Once we get the ball rolling, we more and more will take advantage of this program."

Retailers at BookMarq and Sweeney's said they are not worried about online vendors hurting sales at their more traditional stores.

BookMarq Manager Dave Konkol said the selection, prompt delivery and return policy makes BookMarq a better bet than purchasing online.

"We believe that we are the store of choice for Marquette students," Konkol said. "However, there are a number of students who source their books from multiple sources."

Chris Zilvitis, director of Sweeney's College Books, said the store's lower prices will keep Sweeney's a good option for students.

"Here at Sweeney's, we think competition is a good thing," Zilvitis said.

For some students, the draw of Sweeney's and BookMarq is convenience.

College of Arts & Sciences junior Steve Guerrero said he buys his books at Sweeney's every semester.

"I know that Sweeney's has a great selection of used books and is usually cheaper than BookMarq," Guerrero said.

College of Nursing freshman Jenna Gullickson pre-ordered her books at BookMarq.

"It was really easy," she said. "CheckMarq listed all the books for me and I just had to press a button."